- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 19
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Musical Timbre of Instruments and Singers: Definition
Course SummaryHelp your students master the AP music theory exam with this flexible homeschool curriculum exam preparation course. Our short video lessons and multiple-choice quizzes work as an interactive study guide that is accessible on any mobile device at any time.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Why It Works:
- Quality Content: Engaging animations and real-life examples make music theory foundational topics easy to grasp for students with multiple learning styles.
- Students Learn Efficiently: The self-based course allows students to prepare for the AP Music Theory exam at their own pace.
- Save Time: Spend less time preparing lessons and more time working with your student.
What You Get:
- Complete Course Library: In addition to AP Music Theory, your membership includes access to a full high school homeschool curriculum and hundreds of additional courses.
- Online Dashboard: Parents and students can monitor course progress and subject mastery easily.
- Built-In Assessments: Quizzes and practice exams allow students to test their knowledge and parents to monitor mastery.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our expert humanities instructors any question about music theory. They're here to help!
How It Works:
- Use the video lessons as your primary AP Music Theory exam preparation resource in your homeschool curriculum or as supplemental material.
- Complete each unit at your own pace.
- Watch lessons, reviewing or pausing as often as you need.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Check understanding through lesson quizzes and unit exams.
AP Music Theory Learning Objectives:
- Become familiar with the fundamentals of music.
- Learn how to read notes and build musical scales.
- Distinguish among the different musical forms.
- Understand the basics of meter, rhythm, tempo and time signature.
- Determine major and minor key signatures.
- Understand the importance of background instruments.
- Find out what thick and thin musical textures mean.
- Learn how musical dynamics provide information about intensity and volume.
- Distinguish between harmony and melody.
- Identify the instruments in an orchestra.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- LPN NCLEX Exam Preparation Resources
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- Top Strategies for Studying for Final Exams: Straight From Students
- Bank Teller Exam Information, Resources and Exam Preparation Tips
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses