- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 19
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Musical Timbre of Instruments and Singers: Definition
Course SummaryHelp your students master AP music theory with this flexible homeschool curriculum course. Our short video lessons and multiple-choice quizzes work as an interactive study guide that is accessible on any mobile device at any time.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Why It Works:
- Quality Content: Engaging animations and real-life examples make music theory foundational topics easy to grasp for students with multiple learning styles.
- Students Learn Efficiently: The self-based course allows students to learn at their own pace.
- Save Time: Spend less time preparing lessons and more time working with your student.
What You Get:
- Complete Course Library: In addition to AP Music Theory, your membership includes access to a full high school homeschool curriculum and hundreds of additional courses.
- Online Dashboard: Parents and students can monitor course progress and subject mastery easily.
- Built-In Assessments: Quizzes and practice exams allow students to test their knowledge and parents to monitor mastery.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our expert humanities instructors any question about music theory. They're here to help!
How It Works:
- Use the video lessons as your primary AP Music Theory homeschool curriculum or as supplemental material.
- Complete each unit at your own pace.
- Watch lessons, reviewing or pausing as often as you need.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Check understanding through lesson quizzes and unit exams.
AP Music Theory Learning Objectives:
- Become familiar with the fundamentals of music.
- Learn how to read notes and build musical scales.
- Distinguish among the different musical forms.
- Understand the basics of meter, rhythm, tempo and time signature.
- Determine major and minor key signatures.
- Understand the importance of background instruments.
- Find out what thick and thin musical textures mean.
- Learn how musical dynamics provide information about intensity and volume.
- Distinguish between harmony and melody.
- Identify the instruments in an orchestra.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- How Online Courses Work Video
- Most Interactive Free Online Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Car-Sharing Helps College Students Get Mobile
- Global Studies Quizzes
- Music Video Director Courses and Classes
- People's Choice Nominees: Best Study Guides
- Best Study Guides, People's Choice Awards
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses