- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 209
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Development? - Growth, Maturation & Learning
This course can be found in: ASWB Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 4 ASWB study guides, and 300+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryPreparing for the ASWB Advanced Generalist exam is simple with help from this in-depth course. Explore fun lessons, short quizzes and practice exams that can quickly boost your knowledge of key exam concepts and ensure you're ready and able to earn a passing score.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
In this self-paced course is a comprehensive overview of concepts you will see on the ASWB Advanced Generalist exam. Review entertaining lessons to refresh your knowledge of concepts that include childhood and adolescent growth and development, factors affecting system behavior, interventions in social work, methods for social change and more. Multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams ensure you fully grasp each lesson, chapter and the entire course. These study tools are accessible 24 hours a day, making it easy to study whenever your schedule permits.
Check out our ASWB test prep materials! We've got ASWB courses to teach you the material, comprehensive ASWB study guides to help you study, ASWB practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational ASWB resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course covers the ASWB Advanced Generalist exam concepts you will encounter on exam day. Studying the course will ensure you have a quality understanding of professional values and ethical issues in social work; adult growth and development; addiction theories and behaviors; and the basics of abuse, neglect and exploitation. You will also be prepared to:
- Exhibit an understanding of different forms of development and discuss the interactions of genetics and the environment on human development
- Define family system theory, the family life cycle, dysfunctional family dynamics and individual aging processes
- Demonstrate an understanding of social institutions, the PIE theory, stereotyping, discrimination and the impact of culture on identity
- Discuss trauma-related disorders, grief, separation anxiety, caregiver burden and the effects of trauma on behavior and self-image
- Explain mental illness, organic disorders and common signs and symptoms of neurological conditions
- Describe the Rorschach test, MBTI personality framework, DSM and mental status examinations
- Share facts about behavioral interviewing, naturalistic observation, psychopathology and clinical interviews in psychological assessment
- Showcase an understanding of psychiatric drugs, crisis counseling, intervention strategies and community approaches to mental health treatment
- List types of communication and discuss active listening, participant observation and how to determine meaning in verbal communication
- Discuss different types of assessment in social work and explain how to use research to select interventions
- Exhibit knowledge of leadership, human capital, employee retention, case management and the hiring process
- Detail ways to obtain a client's history in social work and conduct a sexual and family history of a client
- Explain doctor/patient confidentiality, physical and electronic records management and ethical issues as related to mental health
- Provide explanations of transference in psychology, relationship building skills and differences between compassion fatigue and burnout
In this chapter are 197 lessons that have been divided into 23 chapters. Accompanying each lesson is a short quiz designed to check your understanding of main concepts. Practice exams are available to ensure you fully comprehend each chapter and the entire course. The dashboard makes it easy to track your progress and submit any lesson topic questions that arise to our experts.
ASWB Advanced Generalist Exam Information
The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Advanced Generalist exam is often used in the social work licensure process in the U.S. and Canada for individuals who have a master's degree in social work (MSW) and two years of post-master's supervised experience.
- Number of Questions: 150 scored questions + 20 non-scored questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $260
ASWB Advanced Generalist Exam Breakdown
|ASWB Exam Concept||Percent of the ASWB Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Human development, diversity and behavior in the environment||23%||39-40 questions||100 lessons|
|Intervention processes and techniques for use across systems||32%||54-55 questions||36 lessons|
|Intervention processes and techniques for use with larger systems||18%||30-31 questions||35 lessons|
|Professional relationships, values, and ethics||27%||45-46 questions||26 lessons|
ASWB Advanced Generalist Exam Preparation & Registration
Preparing for the ASWB Advanced Generalist exam is simple using the study tools in this engaging course. Review some or all the lessons in this course to build a comprehensive understanding of main exam concepts. Check your comprehension by taking short quizzes and broader practice exams. Exam registration can be completed online, by mail or via fax. It's important to note that prior to registration, candidates must have applied for licensure, paid required fees to their jurisdiction's licensing board and received notification of ASWB exam approval. While registering, be sure to share your name as it appears on the two valid IDs you plan to bring on exam day. Before scheduling your exam with Pearson VUE, you must receive your authorization to test from ASWB.
ASWB is a registered trademark of The Association of Social Work Boards and is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Compass Exams
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Measured Progress Exams
- Earn Your GED Online: GED Exam Information
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Corrections Officer Exam Information
- Lawyer: An Overview of the Bar Exam
- Business School Top School with a Business Administration Degree Program - Plano TX
- Top Ranked Software Engineering Degree - Colorado Springs CO
- Admissions Offices Turn to Social Media to Connect with Prospective Students
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Human Resource Management - Irvine CA
- Engine Machinist Degree
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses