- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 106
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Principles of Growth and Development
This course can be found in: ASWB Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 4 ASWB study guides, and 200+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis test prep course is designed to help you review information that you need to know for the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Clinical licensing exam. Consult this course's engaging lessons and practice quizzes to make sure you've mastered all the concepts that appear on the test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The ASWB Clinical Exam is one of four categories of examinations administered by the ASWB (though not all categories of examinations are used in every jurisdiction). Use this guide to reinforce what you already know or to learn new facts about clinical knowledge and practices for social workers. You will have the opportunity to review diagnostic procedures and treatment planning as well as intervention approaches, case management and therapeutic relationships. Other lessons will discuss professional ethics, human development, human behavior, collaborative services and client assessment.
Check out our ASWB test prep materials! We've got ASWB courses to teach you the material, comprehensive ASWB study guides to help you study, ASWB practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational ASWB resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This study guide was designed to provide a comprehensive review of everything you will encounter on the ASWB Clinical exam specifically. Using this study guide, you'll reinforce your knowledge, skills and abilities in the ASWB Clinical exam's major subject areas, including human growth and development, human behavior and diversity, assessment and diagnosis, treatment planning, therapeutic relationships, the intervention process, case management, and professional development. After completing the lessons within this study guide, you will also be able to:
- Identify prominent theories, terms and milestones related to human growth and development
- Describe the continuing development of adults and seniors, including the family life cycle, parenting and aging
- Understand environmental influences on human behavior
- Define and recognize different types of abuse, neglect and trauma
- Describe the ways in which a society can be diverse and the ways in which a society can discriminate
- Identify types of addictions, plus addictive behaviors, warning signs and the effects of addiction
- Discuss social workers' assessment of clients and information-gathering techniques
- Recognize different types of mental disabilities and detail the process of diagnosis
- Indicate way in which social workers plan treatments and interventions based on a client's needs and progress
- Understand key components of a therapeutic relationship, such as communication, empathy, cultural sensitivity and professional objectivity
- Explain different techniques and approaches used by social workers to treat a client (e.g., cognitive therapy, anger management, group therapy, prevention and empowerment strategies)
- Define and detail the components of case management and patient advocacy
- Highlight the ways in which social workers can coordinate, collaborate, network and work as teams
- Understand important ethical and legal issues related to the profession, including confidentiality, informed consent, professional boundaries and cultural norms
Review the topics you'll encounter on the ASWB Clinical exam by working through 106 quick and interesting video lessons, organized into 14 easy-to-follow chapters. Take the mini-quiz at the end of each lesson to check your knowledge as you progress through the course; instant feedback will let you know what you need to review!
ASWB Clinical Exam Information
The ASWB Clinical Exam is administered by the ASWB and is used to assess the knowledge and skills of prospective social work licensees.
- Number of Questions: 170 questions
- Question Type: Multiple Choice (four options)
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $260
ASWB Clinical Exam Breakdown
|ASWB Concept||Percent of the Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Human Development, Diversity and Behavior in the Environment||24%||40-41 questions||58|
|Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning||30%||51 questions||18|
|Psychotherapy, Clinical Interventions and Case Management||27%||45-46 questions||23|
|Professional Values and Ethics||19%||31-32 questions||7|
ASWB Clinical Exam Preparation & Registration
This comprehensive study guide covers all of the material contained in the ASWB Clinical Exam. You will find lessons discussing types of mental disabilities and disorders, assessment methods, counseling processes and psychiatric drugs, treatment and therapy options, therapeutic support and case management services. Other topics explored in these lessons include human growth and development, adulthood and aging, physical and psychological abuse, influences of race and ethnicity, behavioral interviewing and professional development and ethics in social work. After each lesson, you can take a self-assessment quiz to determine the level of your knowledge and whether or not you need to further review any of the topics discussed in this course.
To register for this exam, you must first complete an application process to determine your eligibility. Once this has been established, your licensing board will notify you and you will then register with ASWB to take the exam. Registration can be completed by phone, fax, mail or online, and you must submit payment of exam fees. After receiving authorization from ASWB, you can arrange for a test date and location through the Pearson VUE website.
The ASWB Clinical Exam is developed by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) and is administered by Pearson Education, Inc., neither of which are affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- ASWB Test Preparation & Resources
- Social Work Licensing Exam Requirements
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- Test Prep
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Master of Social Work Vs. Master of Clinical Psychology
- EMT Test and Exam Information with Tips
- Masters Programs for Clinical Social Work: Degree Program Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses