- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 113
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
Course SummaryTake Basic Genetics for Teachers to earn 3 college credits to apply toward your licensure renewal requirements. Learn with fun and engaging science video lessons that you can watch around your teaching schedule.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your science teaching license with Basic Genetics for Teachers. Brush up on science topics so you can better teach genetics, biology, health and other life sciences. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in less than two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn genetics credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about inheritance and DNA mutation.
- Check your knowledge of things like pedigree analysis and comparative genomics with practice quizzes and exams.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert genetics instructors.
- Earn 3 college credits by taking the UExcel Genetics exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. UExcel credits are accepted by over 1,000 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
Basic Genetics for Teachers is ideal for any teachers looking to earn credits to use toward licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Science teachers who want to brush up on genetics
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging genetics videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a genetics unit or course
- Aspiring genetics teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make genetics easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert genetics instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review genetics terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn genetics credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including Pathophysiology for Teachers, Microbiology for Teachers, and Anatomy and Physiology for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in genetics as well as anatomy, chemistry, physics, and other science topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clicking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete Basic Genetics for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in a little more than a week. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Chapter||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1||The Molecular and Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance (DNA, messenger RNA, mitosis, meiosis, asexual and sexual reproduction, cytokinesis)|
|Day 2||Chapter 2||Transmission/Mendelian Genetics (Mendel's laws, epistasis, chromosomal linkage, twin studies, genomic imprinting)|
|Day 3||Chapter 3||Population Genetics and Evolution (theory of evolution, Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium, speciation)|
|Day 4||Chapter 4||Model Organisms and Developmental Genetics (non-vertebrate and vertebrate model organisms in research, drosophila development, knockout mice)|
|Day 5||Chapter 5||DNA Damage, Mutation and Repair (point mutations, deletions, mutagens, DNA mismatch repair)|
|Day 6||Chapter 6||Human Genetics (research methods, genetics disorders, genetic diseases and conditions, prenatal testing)|
|Day 7||Chapter 7|
|Comparative Genomics (prokaryotes, eukaryotes, chromosome numbers)|
DNA Technology and Transgenic Organisms (genetic engineering, polymerase chain reactions, microarrays, GMOs)
|Day 8||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for genetics|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- North Dakota Teacher Licensure Renewal
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Louisiana Teaching Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Minnesota Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Ohio Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Iowa Teacher License Renewal Requirements
- Colorado Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Kansas Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Alabama Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Broadcast News Analyst Employment Info for Students Pursuing a Career in Broadcast News
- Black Leaders in Education
- Professional Secretaries Job Description and Employment Info for a Professional Secretary Career
- Biological Treatment Technician Job Description and Requirements for a Career in Biological Therapies
- CPR Certification NYC
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses