- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 325
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Units of Time: Solar, Sidereal & Synodic
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide course helps you quickly review the fundamentals of astronomy. Access these fun lessons and quizzes to improve your basic astronomy knowledge for upcoming exams, projects, homework or personal interest.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help reviewing basic astronomy material quickly will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Need an efficient way to learn about basic astronomy
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools
- Want an organized resource to help study for an exam
- Feel overwhelmed trying to memorize large amounts of information
- Struggle to identify the most important facts in your astronomy class
How It Works:
- Complete all lessons in the course to learn important information.
- Review lessons as needed to strengthen your comprehension.
- Refer to the important lesson topics to reinforce your learning.
- Test your knowledge with lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Review only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Basics of Astronomy Study Guide final exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any astronomy question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
In this course, you'll cover these key topics:
- Astronomy history
- The thinking and working methods of scientists
- Matter and Newton's laws in astronomy
- Celestial body orbits
- Relativity in space and time
- Energy, pressure, temperature, gas and momentum
- The earth's spheres and planet atmospheres
- Factors that influence climate
- The structure and components of the sun
- Types of stars and star life cycles
- Solar system planets and the Milky Way galaxy
- Life in the universe and theories about the universe
- Telescopes and light in astronomy
- The earth, moon and sky
- Measuring star qualities
- Properties of galaxies
- The formation of the solar system
- Timekeeping and celestial navigation
- Moon phases
- Satellites and small celestial bodies in the solar system
- Rotational motion
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Astronomy Course Overviews
- How to Get a PhD in Astronomy
- Distance Learning Graduate Courses in Astronomy
- Radio Astronomy Course and Class Information
- Astronomy Training Programs and Courses Overview
- PhD in Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Astronomy: Summary of Coursework
- List of Free Online Astronomy Courses, Classes and Learning Materials
- How Study.com Helps You Improve Your Grades
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses