- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 47
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What are Bloodborne Pathogens?
Course SummaryThis course equips you with the skills needed to prevent and treat exposure to bloodborne pathogens. The short and engaging lessons help you learn to identify common pathogens, track the spread of disease, and maintain a safe and healthy environment and can help you meet licensure or compliance requirements for teachers.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Our expert instructors show you essential information pertaining to bloodborne pathogen avoidance, treatment and safety standards. You'll learn how these pathogens can be transmitted from person to person and learn protective measures to help prevent exposure. Broken up into several chapters, the course offers engaging lessons that are typically less than ten minutes in length. Studying this chapter will help you:
- Learn what bloodborne pathogens are
- Explore the common viruses and see the differences between viral and bacterial infections
- Prevent bloodborne pathogen transmission
- Learn about proper disposal methods for hazardous waste and materials
- Understand how diseases are transmitted
- Comply with OSHA's bloodborne pathogens standards
Teachers and educators: Check with your school or district to find out if this course fulfills compliance requirements.
How It Works
You can study topics related to bloodborne pathogens wherever and whenever you have free time. The flexibility of this training course enables you to study at home, at school, at the library or on-the-go. You can use any computer or mobile device to take the course in sequence or jump to specific topics you need to study. Our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have, and you can keep track of your progress through the course on your course Dashboard. Using the course is easy:
- Select a lesson, like The Different Routes of Infectious Disease Transmission and either play the video or read through the lesson
- Follow along with the transcript to highlight important definitions or focus on specific examples
- Try the accompanying lesson quizzes to see how well you understand main concepts, such as bloodborne pathogen prevention
- Progress through the course by selecting the Next Lesson
- Verify you understand the chapter material by taking the chapter exam
- Take the final course exam to assess your comprehension of bloodborne pathogens training concepts
- Receive a certificate of completion after completing all quizzes and give it to your school district or employer
How It Helps
Teachers and school employees may need to have a thorough understanding of bloodborne pathogens. This training resource can help educators and school employees meet the bloodborne pathogen compliance requirements for their school districts. These lessons can also help healthcare professionals understand disease transmission, proper safety procedures and the CDC's bloodborne pathogen standards.
This course offers instruction in the following areas:
- Summarizing the fundamentals of bloodborne pathogens, common viruses, and viral and bacterial infections
- Explaining how diseases are spread
- Preventing the transmission of bloodborne pathogens
- Conducting proper waste disposal and biohazard cleanup methods
- Observing OSHA's standards for bloodborne pathogens
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- How Tech Can Help Teachers Create Engaging Lesson Plans
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Overview of the Skills Needed to Become a Library Helper
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Jobs that Help the Environment
- Tennessee Teacher Certification: Licensure & Requirements
- Jobs that Help the Environment and Animals
- Jobs that Help People in Need
- Distance Education Courses That Can Help Teachers Relocate Easily
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses