- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 106
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Course SummaryEarn a calculus certificate in just a few weeks by reviewing the engaging material in this course. Whether you want to refresh your skills or learn new ones for a job or educational experience, this course can be completed in about two weeks.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Short, engaging video lessons bring calculus concepts to life and can help you earn a Calculus Certificate in about two weeks. These dynamic and fun lessons teach you how to use the intermediate value theorem, determine function limits, graph derivatives and more.
Who's This For?
Business owners, accountants, engineers and computer programmers are just some of the professionals who can use this course to refresh their calculus skills. This course is also useful for anyone who wants to learn foundational calculus concepts.
There are no prerequisites for calculus, but students should have skills in algebra, geometry and trigonometry before taking this course. Completing a precalculus course prior to this one might be helpful for students new to the field.
Benefits of the Certificate
An understanding of calculus might benefit you in a variety of ways in both your career and your personal life. To showcase your mastery of calculus concepts to clients or current and prospective employers, consider adding this certificate to your resume or online profile. Benefits include:
- Demonstrating your desire to continue your education throughout your career
- Assessing results of national surveys and polls
- Understanding how payments and interest rates on your credit card are determined
- Solving complex problems by applying calculus principles
Calculus Program Breakdown
This certificate course features 13 chapters. Start off by learning how to graph basic functions before moving on to more complex lessons on derivatives, integration techniques and differential equations.
Graphing and Functions
Discover functions, composite functions, inverse functions and their graphs. Find out how to calculate slopes and tangents on a graph, use the point-slope formula and identify horizontal and vertical asymptotes.
This chapter teaches you how to define continuity and identify regions of continuity. You'll practice graphing discontinuities and applying the intermediate value theorem.
Geometry and Trigonometry
Calculate the volumes of basic shapes, find distance with the Pythagorean Theorem and graph sines and cosines.
Using Scientific Calculators
In this chapter, you'll get instructions on using a scientific calculator to solve equations.
This chapter teaches you how to use a graph to define limits. You'll also learn about the properties of limits, the squeeze theorem and limits for infinity.
Rate of Change
Discover the mean value theorem and Rolle's Theorem. This chapter also teaches you how to graph a derivative and define the rate of change.
Calculating Derivatives and Derivative Rules
Here you'll learn how to calculate derivatives of polynomial and exponential equations as well as trigonometric functions. You'll examine higher order derivatives, the quotient rule and derivatives of implicit functions.
Graphing Derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule
This chapter teaches you how to determine maximum and minimum values using differentiation. You can also learn to identify functions from derivative graphs and apply L'Hopital's Rule in simple and complex cases.
Applications of Derivatives
Explore Newton's method, linearization and optimization in this chapter.
Area Under the Curve and Integrals
Learn to use Riemann sums to define and calculate integrals. Get tips for finding the arc length of a function. Explore the fundamental theorem of calculus, and apply the average value theorem.
Integration and Integration Techniques
Find out how to calculate integrals of simple shapes, polynomials, trigonometric functions and exponential functions. Learn to use integration and substitution and solve improper integrals.
Practice finding simple areas and the area between functions using integration. Learn to calculate volumes using single intervals.
Close out your course by learning to calculate rate and exponential growth. Solve differential equations using the separation of variables concept.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Learn Hypnosis: Certification Program and Course Information
- Distance Learning MBA Refresher Course Options
- College Student Elisa Fleming Earns College Credit in Two Weeks for Less Than $100
- List of Free Online Geography Courses and Educational Materials
- List of Free Online Phlebotomy Courses and Educational Materials
- List of Free Online Radiography Courses & Educational Materials
- Educational Management Course Information
- Those Dreaded First Two Weeks of School
- RN Refresher Course Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses