- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 192
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Nurse Aide: Definition & Duties
Course SummaryAspiring nurse aides in California are tested for skills competency by the American Red Cross for certification purposes. Use this course to review nurse aide practices, duties and other healthcare information prior to taking the California Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
24 chapters in California Red Cross Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation (CNA Test) Training
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This comprehensive study guide is designed to provide short overviews of relevant information you would need to know when sitting for the California Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test. Video and text lessons cover details about what nurse aides do, what they treat, how they administer care in different situations and how they adhere to safety and hygiene guidelines. In addition, you will learn more about specific injuries, infections, and mental and physical health issues. Once you have completed your study of this guide, you should have developed a better sense of the following:
- Nurse aide duties and responsibilities
- Communication strategies for patient education and discharge
- Types of infections and infection control and prevention processes
- Personal care and care of emergency injuries and illnesses
- Nursing care in areas of skin, elimination and circulatory issues
- Understanding of the importance of nutrition, fluid balance and sleep/rest
- Types of physical impairments and assistive devices for patient mobility
- Patient assessment techniques
- Concepts in mental and psychosocial health
- Overview of pain and pain management
- Changes associated with the aging process
- Nursing care for end-of-life situations
About the Exam
The California Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test consists of a written portion and skills demonstration portion. Test takers can opt to take the written exam in oral format. The written exam contains 60 multiple-choice questions that test takers are given two hours to answer. In the skills portion, candidates must successfully demonstrate four nursing skills and apply the Six Principles of Care. You will be notified following completion of each part of the exam whether you have passed or failed. You must clear a Department of Justice fingerprint check after passing both parts of the exam. Your certificate will arrive via mail from the state Department of Health no later than six weeks after the exam.
California Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation Exam Preparation & Registration
Use this course as a quick and effective way to ensure your understanding of material you will be tested on or to learn new details about these topics before you take the California Red Cross Nurse Assistant (CNA) Competency Evaluation test. You will have the opportunity to learn specifics about nursing principles and ethics, patient-nurse relationships, emergency and non-emergency situations and care required for each type of injury or illness, infection control techniques and details that nurse aides should know about fluids and electrolytes, nutrition, pain management, physical impairments, and care of the skin, circulatory system and bowels. Lessons offer expert instruction and require only 5-10 minutes to review, making them viable study options to fit any schedule. Each lesson provides 24/7 accessibility from any device and contains self-assessment quizzes that measure what you have learned and whether you are ready to take the state certification exam.
To take the exam, you must remit payment of testing fees via mail with a money order or cashier's check made payable to the American Red Cross. Once your payment has been processed, you will receive a confirmation. Arrive at the testing site on the day of the exam with a State Approval Letter as well as a completed application signed by an RN that indicates you have completed an approved training program. In addition, you must present your Social Security card and picture ID.
The California Nurse Assistant (CNA) Evaluation test is administered by the American Red Cross, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Do You Get Nurse Aide Certification?
- What Is a Nurse Aide Certificate?
- Can a Nurse Aide Become a Medical Assistant?
- How Do I Renew My Nurse Aide Certification?
- Certified Nurses Aide: Nurses Aide Certification Program Overviews
- How Do You Renew a Texas Nurse Aide Certification?
- Certified Nurses Aide Course Descriptions
- How Do I Become a Nurse Practitioner in California?
- How Do I Get a Home Health Aide Certificate in California?
- Nurse Aide Training in TN with Course Descriptions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses