- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 69
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Veterinary Medicine?
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide course helps you quickly prepare for the California Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) exam. Through a series of short videos and self-assessment quizzes, you'll review and reinforce your understanding of all the concepts that can appear on the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Use this course to reinforce your knowledge of various veterinary topics and to help you identify any areas in which you need further review before taking the California RVT exam. By using this study guide, you will have the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of animal nursing and dentistry practices, veterinary surgical assistance and medication dispensing. In addition, the guide will address these other concepts you can expect to be tested on when sitting for this certification exam:
- The role of veterinary technicians
- Treatment and exam room equipment
- Veterinary emergency care practices
- Anesthesia administration
- Veterinary radiology
- Diagnostic and routine lab procedures
- Veterinary care plans for various species, such as birds, canines, felines, equines and small animals
About the Exam
The computer-based California RVT exam must be taken by anyone who is seeking to become a registered veterinary technician in the state. It contains at least 50 multiple-choice questions. Content domains in this exam include: authorized routine and emergency medical practices, radiation safety, reporting and rabies. The medical practices content area accounts for the majority of the test, covering 70% of the exam. Passing scores are established by a panel made up of licensed veterinarians and registered veterinary technicians.
California RVT Exam Preparation & Registration
This extensive study guide is a useful tool when seeking to gain insight into the material addressed in the California RVT exam. You can use these lessons to reinforce what you have already learned in traditional college courses or to learn new facts about veterinary care and practices. The lessons will cover animal behavior and handling, the methods of infection control, signs of animal abuse, veterinary workplace safety, laboratory equipment, routine exams and veterinary pharmacies. At the end of each lesson, you can assess what you've learned and what you have retained before moving on to the next lesson.
You must apply for exam eligibility to the state's Veterinary Medical Board. Once you have approved to take the exam, you must submit payment for the exam fees and contact PSI (the firm that conducts the examination) to set up the time and location of your exam. Scheduling your exam can be done online or via phone. You must furnish a photo ID at the examination site on the day of your exam.
The California Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) exam is developed by the Veterinary Medical Board (VMB), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Veterinary Technician National Exam Information and Tips
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Difference Between Certified & Registered Veterinary Technician
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- When to Use a Self-Assessment With Your Job Search Video
- University of Southern California Video Review
- California Institute of Technology Video Review
- University of California at Davis Video Review
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses