- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 131
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1CBEST vs. CSET
This course can be found in: CSET/CBEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CSET/CBEST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReview the topics you'll be tested on when you take the CBEST with this professionally designed course. Use these video lessons and quizzes as a comprehensive, flexible study guide that can help you get the best score possible on the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CSET/CBEST Courses
About This Course
The California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) is a test of the skills you'll need to master to become a successful educator, such as problem solving, reading comprehension and analysis, and composition. Review and practice these skills and more with this study guide, designed especially to align with CBEST content. It breaks down the test subject by subject, and explains important test concepts through quick and entertaining video lessons that can be accessed on your own time. Additional practice quizzes will allow you to put your own skills to the test, and provide instant feedback on where you might need a little more review. Online course instructors are also on hand for additional guidance and information, ensuring a solid preparation that suits your study needs.
Check out our CSET-CBEST Preparation resources! We've got CSET-CBEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CSET-CBEST study guides to help you study, CSET-CBEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and CSET-CBEST informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This study guide offers a comprehensive review of the reading, writing and mathematics-related skills that you will encounter on the CBEST. While working through each chapter, you will develop and improve your ability to demonstrate comprehension and research skills, evaluate arguments, think and analyze critically, work comfortably with basic arithmetic, interpret data in different ways, solve a problem using facts and reasoning, and compose an essay with clarity, focus and purpose. Upon completion, you will also be able to:
- Identify structure, inference, themes and motifs in a reading selection
- Use context to determine meanings of words
- Analyze a passage and identify its facts, opinions and inconsistencies in points of view.
- Compare and contrast ideas, and challenge statements in a reading selection
- Understand how a book or reading selection is organized and how to locate information
- Differentiate and explain euphemisms, metaphors, synecdoche, metonymy and clichés
- Proofread an essay for spelling and grammar
- Develop ideas in your writing, structure an argument, and engage readers
- Focus and structure your essay so you respond to the prompt appropriately
- Choose words and sentence styles to write an effective argument
- Perform basic arithmetic operations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge of key algebraic concepts
- Identify facts given in a problem and determine if there is enough information to solve it
- Summarize data using charts, tables, histograms, and graphs
This study guide and prep course contains 122 lessons within 13 chapters, including a special chapter on the CBEST itself. Each chapter also has its own chapter test (plus a practice cumulative final exam) that will help you keep up with the materials.
California licensing agencies and schools use the CBEST Test, or the California Basic Educational Skills Test, to assess whether a test-taker is ready for teacher education programs, a credential or licensing.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice, plus two writing essays
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $102
CBEST Exam Breakdown
|CBEST Concept||Chapter Lessons|
|Critical Analysis & Evalulation||7|
|Comprehension and Research Skills||15|
|Writing Development and Conventions||32|
|Writing With Focus & Clarity||21|
|Estimation, Measurement & Statistical Principles||6|
|Computation & Problem Solving||27|
|Numerical & Graphic Relationships||12|
The CBEST Test - Preparation and Registration
To help you prepare for the CBEST, we have dozens of short and engaging videos in each subject area of the test. The chapter on basic algebra will help you understand variables, expressions, and properties in algebra. Other chapters include arithmetic, problem solving, writing with clarity, and critical analysis. Every single lesson also includes a short quiz written by the instructors.
You can register for the CBEST through the CTC's website, for either a computer-based test or a paper-based test. Paper-based tests are less expensive at only $41 for registration (with additional fees for late or emergency registration), but are only offered six times a year. Computer-based tests are available year-round by appointment, but are more expensive at $102 for the combined testing fees. On the day of the test, make sure to bring one piece of current, government-issued identification printed in English, in the same name under which you registered. The ID must have your photograph and signature.
The CBEST Test - Scoring
If you're taking the test on a computer-based platform, unofficial test results for the reading and mathematics sections are available at the end of the test. Full test results are available within 14 days of testing. If you're taking the test on a paper-based platform, you'll have to wait 21 days before test results are available. When you register, you can indicate to which institutions you'd like your results sent. To pass the CBEST, test-takers must achieve a minimum score of 123 across all three sections scored together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Is IT Possible To Get Good ACT or SAT Scores Without Studying?
- Why Take Online Professional Development Courses?
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- The Best Way to Study for Your Praxis Test
- How Video Games Help Children with ADHD Study & Have Fun
- How to Become a Professional Video Gamer
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Best Study Guides, People's Choice Awards
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses