- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 87
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards: Definition & Use
Course SummaryThis extensive study guide is designed for anyone who is seeking certification as a public sector auditor through the Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP) exam. Work through the course's lessons and quizzes at your own pace to review and remember key concepts for the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
13 chapters in CGAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Government Auditing Professional
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
It is recommended that candidates of the CGAP exam devote between 60 and 80 hours of study time in the three months prior to taking this exam. This comprehensive study guide covers all of the major topics you can expect to be tested on when taking the CGAP exam, and referring to this guide will likely fulfill the recommended study time you will require to prepare. The guide addresses such topics as government auditing standards, government internal auditing functions, areas addressed in government audits, government financial operations and auditing risk management. You can also review material relating to procurement management, data quality management, quality controls and human resource management.
This course was last updated in 2019.
About the CGAP Exam
The CGAP exam is administered by the Institute of Internal Auditors and is available around the world. The paper-and-pencil exam consists of four domain areas: standards and controls/risk models, government auditing practice, government auditing methodologies and skills, and government auditing environment. The government auditing practice represents the largest portion of the exam (between 35% - 45%), with the standards and controls section containing the least amount of questions (5% - 10%). There are a total of 125 multiple-choice questions on this exam, and test takers will have 3.5 hours to complete the exam. A scaled score of at least 600, the equivalent of answering roughly 75% of the questions correctly, is needed to pass this exam.
CGAP Exam Preparation & Registration
All of the tools and materials you will need to fully prepare for the CGAP exam are found in this course. Easy-to-follow lessons present detailed overviews of each topic, and lesson transcripts can be printed and used as quick reference tools. Self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson allow you to determine your level of knowledge and your readiness to take the CGAP exam. Lessons also provide you with the opportunity to contact instructors with any content questions.
To register for the CGAP exam, you must fax or mail a completed and signed CGAP Examination Application Form, registration fees, a character reference, proof that you have earned a bachelor's degree and verification of professional experience. You will receive an authorization letter once these materials have been processed, and you must present this letter, along with photo identification, at the testing site on the day of your exam.
CGAP is a registered trademark of the Institute of Internal Auditors, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Certified Medical Auditor: Career Guide
- Microsoft Certified Professional Certificate Programs
- Become a Certified IT Professional: Certification & Career Info
- Certified Energy Auditor Training, Degree and Exam Info
- CGAP Test Preparation & Resources
- Online Certified Professional Coder Certification Programs
- Certified Payroll Professional Training and Certification Programs
- Certified Emergency Nurse Exam and Certification Requirements
- Be a Certified Public Administrator: Certification and Career Roadmap
- Certified Public Health Inspector Certification Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses