- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 54
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Alcohols & Alkanols: Classification & Functional Group
Course SummaryTake Chemistry 304 to study organic chemistry. The course can be used for a variety of educational purposes, including test preparation, homework help, tutoring, professional development and textbook supplementation.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
About This Course
Chemistry 304 offers a high-level overview of essential organic chemistry topics. As you work through the course's simple, engaging and informative video lessons, you'll become knowledgable about alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, amines and carboxylic acids. You'll also take a look at scientific methods and tools that are used to analyze different types of organic compounds.
The course can benefit anyone who needs to learn or review the foundations of organic chemistry, such as students, independent learners or working professionals. Students can use the course to supplement their traditional science textbooks, and science teachers could incorporate the course materials into their lesson plans. The course's online format makes it easy to access these resources any time that's convenient.
|Overview of Alcohols||Recognize the properties of alcohols; name alcohols using IUPAC nomenclature and recognize the common names; identify various synthesis processes for alcohols; determine products for common reactions of alcohols; identify a group of alcohols called phenols and describe their specific properties and reactions.|
|Overview of Aldehydes & Ketones||Recognize properties of aldehydes and ketones; use IUPAC nomenclature to name structures; identify various synthesis processes used to create these molecules; predict the products of common reactions of aldehydes and ketones.|
|The Acyl Group||Describe the structure, reactivity and transfer reactions of the acyl group; differentiate between the acyl group and the carbonyl group.|
|Amines & Other Nitrogen-Containing Molecules||Identify properties of amines and amides; use IUPAC nomenclature to name structures; recognize basicity of amine groups; identify various synthesis processes; predict the products of common reactions of amines and amides; describe a specific group of nitrogen containing structures called pyridines and describe their uses.|
|Overview of Carboxylic Acids||Identify properties of carboxylic acids; assess the structure of the carboxyl group; recognize the acidic nature of the group; discuss esterification and saponification processes; complete carboxylic acid practice problems.|
|Analysis of Organic Compounds||Define infrared, mass and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy; explain how to identify the presence of newly presented function groups or molecules based on the information obtained.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Organic Chemistry Course Overviews
- Organic Chemistry Courses and Classes Overview
- What Can You Do With an Organic Chemistry Major?
- Why Take Online Professional Development Courses?
- PhD in Organic Chemistry Programs
- List of Free Online Organic Chemistry Courses & Learning Materials
- Organic Chemistry
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- Chemistry Courses and Classes Overview
- Chemist: Educational Requirements for a Career in Chemistry
- Top University with Accounting and Finance Degrees - Portland OR
- Health Administration Top School for Healthcare Management and Health Services Administration - Sacramento CA
- CNA Training Indianapolis
- Accounting Classes Top Ranked College with Programs in Accounting and Finance - Westminster CO
- Top Network Security Degree Program - Westminster CO
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses