- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 117
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Chemistry? - Definition, History & Branches
Course SummaryIf your students are struggling with chemistry concepts, show them this helpful middle school chemistry course. Our short lessons make even the toughest topics easy to understand, and the multiple-choice quizzes can be used to prepare for a test or assigned for homework.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Short, entertaining videos hold your students' interest while introducing them to concepts like the properties of gas, radioactive decay, electron configurations and crystal structures. Students can skip topics they are familiar with and spend extra time on subjects that require additional attention. You'll also be able to check if your student understands the information presented by using quizzes at the end of every lesson.
How It Works
- Video lessons are always available, so your student can brush up on atoms and molecules whenever they need help.
- Your child can skip the lessons they don't need and focus on the lessons they do.
- Worksheets accompany every lesson and are accessible at any time, meaning your middle school student can get even more help in topics like acid-base equilibrium.
- Each video also comes with a transcript for your child to review, which should help with vocabulary words like molarity and molality.
- If at any point your student is confused by a vocabulary word, concept or example, they can submit a question to an instructor.
Using the Course
This course is the perfect resource for middle school students who are struggling to understand chemistry or just need extra review in preparation for a test. Because these videos are always accessible, your student will be able to get the help they need when they need it. Additionally, you can have peace of mind knowing that these lessons don't link to other websites--meaning your child can learn these subjects safely and without distraction.
These lessons are useful for parents and teachers in some of the following ways:
- To help students who have fallen behind in class
- To prepare students for a test or other assessment
- To use as a tool in the classroom
- To get students excited about chemistry
|Chemistry Basics||This lesson defines chemistry and introduces students to the metric system, scientific notation and lab equipment.|
|Atoms & Molecules||Students learn about the atom and its history, as well as electron configuration and molecule structure.|
|Types of Elements||This chapter covers the basics of the periodic table of elements and how to use it properly.|
|Types of Chemical Bonds||Several types of chemical bonds are covered, including covalent, polar covalent, ionic and hydrogen.|
|Properties of Elements||Students study some of the types of elemental properties, like heating, cooling and condensation. This chapter also covers how to calculate density.|
|States of Matter||At the end of this chapter, students should understand different properties of solids, liquids, gas and plasma.|
|Gas Laws & Properties||Instructors present various facts about gases, including info about diffusion, pressure, volume and temperature.|
|Types of Chemical Reactions||Chemical reactions are defined. Students then go over types of chemical reactions and how to balance an equation.|
|Overview of Chemical Solutions||This chapter includes information on polar molecules, solubility and properties of water molecules.|
|Chemical & Dynamic Equilibrium||Instructors cover types of equilibrium in acids and bases.|
|Organic Chemistry Overview||Students review types of organic molecules and their functional groups, like carbohydrates, lipids and proteins.|
|Introduction to Nuclear Chemistry||This chapter goes over radioactive decay and defines half-life.|
|Chemistry in Everyday Life||Topics covered include the chemical properties of water, air and soil.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- I Tried Assigning Less Homework to My Students: Here's What Happened
- How to Define Your Priorities and Make Your College Choice Easier
- 5 Learning Tools for Middle Schoolers to Make Your Life Easier As a Teacher
- Chemistry Courses and Classes Overview
- 5 Lessons to Help Your Students Understand the Elections
- Understand How Your Students Read to Make Class Time More Effective
- Online Inorganic Chemistry Course Information
- Online Organic Chemistry Course Overviews
- Organic Chemistry Courses and Classes Overview
- Chemistry Teacher Courses with Classes Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses