- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 77
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination
This course can be found in: CLEP Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ CLEP study guides, and 3,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryTake advantage of the engaging lessons and mini quizzes in this course, which was designed to help you prepare for and pass the CLEP College Composition Modular exam. Strengthen your knowledge of concepts you could see on the exam and get closer to your goal of earning college credits. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CLEP Courses
About This Course
This self-paced course closely examines various college composition topics and offers tools and resources you can use to study for and pass the CLEP College Composition Modular exam. Individuals who pass the exam are able to secure 3 college semester hours typically earned in a one-semester course. CLEP credits are accepted by 2,900 colleges and universities. The entertaining lessons in this course can introduce or help you get reacquainted with English grammar writing conventions, the basics of essay structure, how to use source materials, and other concepts you could see on the exam. After completing this course, you will be ready to take the exam and earn your college credits.
Check out our CLEP Preparation resources! We've got CLEP courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CLEP study guides to help you study, CLEP practice tests to test your knowledge, and CLEP informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course is a quick and convenient way to prepare for the CLEP College Composition Modular exam. You'll review grammar rules, essay structures and more. Once you complete this course, you should be able to:
- Describe important aspects of English grammar, such as punctuation and comma use
- Identify independent and dependent clauses, sentence fragments, run-on sentences and dangling modifiers
- Use pronouns and verb tenses correctly
- Develop style, tone and sentence clarity; and understand the difference between active vs. passive voice
- Write a thesis statement and topic sentence
- Organize an essay
- Create bibliographies and use reference materials
- Cite sources correctly using MLA, APA, and Chicago citation styles and create a Works Cited page
- Write a strong essay body and structure an argument
- Improve reading comprehension by using context
- Determine the best audience for an essay
This course consists of 8 chapters and a total of 65 lessons. Lessons are presented in video or text formats and are accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can create a flexible and convenient study schedule.
CLEP College Composition Modular Exam Information
The CLEP College Composition Modular exam is a fantastic solution for individuals who want to avoid the time commitment of a full-semester course. By taking and passing this exam, you can earn 3 semester hours of college credit that could apply toward a degree requirement at your school. The exam is recommended by the American Council on Education's Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) and is administered at more than 1,800 test centers.
- Number of Questions: 90 questions (plus optional essay questions determined by school)
- Question Type: Multiple choice (plus a potential open-response essay section)
- Time Limit: 90 minutes (70 additional minutes for essays)
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $87
CLEP College Composition Modular Exam Breakdown
|CLEP College Composition Modular Exam Concept||Percent of the CLEP College Composition Modular Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Conventions of Standard Written English||10%||5 questions||20|
|Revision Skills||40%||20 questions||29|
|Ability to Use Source Materials||25%||13 questions||8|
|Rhetorical Analysis||25%||13 questions||8|
CLEP College Composition Modular Exam Preparation & Registration
You can get fully prepared for the CLEP College Composition Modular using this easy-to-use resource. Lessons are devoted to such topics as punctuation and grammar, essay structure, writing strategies, research practices, source citation and types of essays.
To register, simply go to the College Board website and purchase the exam. Then create an account and submit all required registration information and select your test location and date. Once the registration process is complete, you will receive a registration ticket via email. You must bring this ticket, along with proper ID, to the test site on the day of your exam.
The College Board, which sponsors the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), is a registered trademark of the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Earning Low Cost College Credit with the CLEP Exams
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- Study.com Now Has 150 Courses Available For College Credit
- How CLEP Exams Work to Earn a Debt-Free College Degree
- What Are Some Online Courses that I Can Take for College Credit?
- Automobile Design Colleges and Courses
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Where Are Some Schools that I Can Take Online Courses for College Credit?
- Can I Take Science Courses Online for College Credit?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses