- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 255
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Overview of Literary Periods and Movements: A Historical Crash Course
This course can be found in: CLEP Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ CLEP study guides, and 3,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReview visual art history, world literature and the other topics you'll find on the CLEP Humanities exam with this fun test prep course, including lesson quizzes and video lessons that correspond to the topics that you'll need to know. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CLEP Courses
About This Course
Carve out a few hours a day to study for just a few weeks and you'll be prepared to take the CLEP Humanities exam and earn six college credits. Passing the CLEP Humanities exam leads to college credit that you can transfer to more than 2,900 colleges and universities nationwide.
The fun and engaging video lessons in this course feature all of the subjects found in a standard college course in humanities, including literary theory, elements of drama, ancient and modern poetry, American fiction, medieval music and more. These lessons use dynamic animations and compelling narration to help you retain the critical concepts needed to pass the exam.
Check out our CLEP Preparation resources! We've got CLEP courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CLEP study guides to help you study, CLEP practice tests to test your knowledge, and CLEP informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
You'll have mastery of the objectives below after you've viewed the lessons in this course. These objectives align with the questions you'll be asked on the CLEP Humanities exam. For extra preparation - take the final CLEP Humanities practice test that comes with this course.
- Outline medieval literature
- Discuss British literature of the 20th century
- Explain literary techniques and terms
- Summarize notable works of philosophy and nonfiction
- Provide an introduction to the performing arts
- Describe key composers of musical theater
- Detail the Baroque and Romantic period in music
- Give examples of world music
- Discuss drama through the 19th and 20th centuries
- Provide an overview of the elements of music
- Assess visual art through of the 17th and 18th centuries
No prerequisites are needed for this course.
This exam prep course is composed of 232 video lessons in 28 chapters. Each lesson takes about five to ten minutes to watch and features short quizzes to test your knowledge of the materials as well as written transcripts if you want to read along. Instructors are available to answer any questions you have about the subject matter, and you can take the chapter exams and final exam for further preparation. To monitor your progress, use the tracking tool that comes with the course to gauge the number of lessons you've watched and quizzes you've passed.
CLEP Humanities Exam Information
The CLEP Humanities exam tests your knowledge of subjects typically found in a college humanities course. A humanities course is usually completed in one to two semesters and can be taken in your first or second year of college. It can be used to meet general education requirements, or it can be used to meet lower-level major requirements by students majoring in literature, philosophy, music or film.
- Number of Questions: Approximately 140
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 90 minutes
- Number of Credits: 6
- Exam Cost: $85
Humanities CLEP Exam Breakdown
|CLEP Exam Concept||Percent of the CLEP Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Study.com Chapter|
|Drama||10%||14 questions||20 lessons|
|Poetry||10%-15%||14-21 questions||24 lessons|
|Fiction||15%-20%||21-28 questions||55 lessons|
|Nonfiction||10%||14 questions||8 lessons|
|Visual Arts: painting, sculpture, etc.||20%||28 questions||20 lessons|
|Visual Arts: architecture||5%||7 questions||10 lessons|
|Performing Arts: music||15%||21 questions||88 lessons|
|Performing Arts: film, dance, etc.||10%||14 questions||7 lessons|
Earn CLEP Credit
You can earn six credits by passing the CLEP Humanities exam and cut in half the time you'll spend in college and the cost of your tuition. This prep course is the fastest and most effective way to prepare for the exam and earn college credit.
Study Schedule for the CLEP Humanities Exam
This course has about 13 instructional hours available in a flexible format. Use the timetable below to figure out how many weeks you'll need to prepare, depending on your study schedule. When you have a general timeframe, call and schedule your test appointment to get the time slot that works for you.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||About 1.5 weeks|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||Just over 2 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||Just over 4 weeks|
CLEP is a registered trademark of The College Board, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Prep for College When You Don't Know Which School You'll Attend
- List of Free Online Art Courses, Lessons and Tutorials
- Financial Management MBA: Courses & Topics
- Study.com Updates
- Online Courses in World History
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- List of Free Online Graphic Arts Classes, Courses and Lessons
- List of Free Guitar Courses and Lessons
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses