- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 31
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Choosing the Right Type of Undergraduate Degree
Course SummaryThese video lessons provide practical advice from professional guidance counselors on how to choose a college major and explore career options. The videos can help you to make an informed decision on your education that is right for your career goals.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This College Major and Career Options guidance course provides insight into how to make an informed choice regarding a college major and, subsequently, a career. Through a series of brief video lessons, students can become acquainted with tested techniques and get advice from professional academic advisers and expert guidance counselors. Self-assessment questions will help you learn more about the decision-making process and how to choose the plan of study that's best for you.
Topics covered in this course include:
Deciding on a career and an appropriate major is a life-changing choice, and we want to help you find out what type of training is your best option for your chosen career. Learn about the difference between degree levels, what's required to graduate and if pursuing a degree will be a good financial move in the long run. You'll also find out about career assessment options and how to determine if a career is a good match for you.
Once you've narrowed down your career choices, you'll need to select a major. Learn how to make a smart decision, see when to declare a major and even get tips on how to handle a change in major without losing valuable credits.
Earning a degree is great, but you'll want to put that education to work. Get information on careers in several fields, including law, history, engineering and the sciences. Find out what options are available if you've earned a non-traditional degree.
With the advice in this course, you'll be prepared to make solid decisions on a major and career possibilities. Information provided here covers:
- Requirements for an undergraduate program
- Resources to help with choosing a major
- Benefits of a double major
- Career options with various degrees
- And much more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- School Guidance Counselor Career Video
- Become a Professional Video Editor: Education and Career Roadmap
- How to Choose Your College Major Video
- Academic and Career Options for History Majors Video
- School Guidance Counselor: Career & Education Overview
- Professional Typist Professions Video: Career Options in Typing
- Advertising Professionals Video: Overview of Career Options in Advertising
- Quality Assurance Professional Video: Career Options in Quality Management
- Mediation Career Video: Becoming a Professional Mediator
- Dialysis Technician Video: Education Requirements and Career Options
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses