- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 14
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Strategies for Assessing Reading Materials
Course SummaryPrepare for success in college with this college readiness course. Review the math, writing, and reading comprehension skills that you'll use in your college coursework, and see tips for developing study skills.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - How to Use Study.com to Improve Your Grades|
About This Course
This college readiness course helps to ensure that you have mastered the basic reading, math and writing skills necessary in order for you to perform at the college level. These brief, yet entertaining and informative lessons and assessment quizzes can help you take a good look at your current skills, so that you can evaluate your college readiness accurately.
The following topics are covered in this course:
The math section helps you assess your skills in using arithmetic with whole numbers and your proficiency with the rules and formulas found in basic algebra and geometry.
The lessons in the reading section will help you check your reading strategies including how to extract meaning from several types of writing, examine and evaluate various reading materials, and draw accurate conclusions from what you've read.
By working through the lessons in the writing section, you can evaluate your ability to effectively identify and use the steps of the writing process, proofread and revise your work, and identify the elements of formal and informal writing.
Finding and Using Content on Study.com
These lessons are designed to assist you in using the text search function to locate courses and lessons in Study.com and use these to improve your academic performance.
Developing Study Skills
This chapter helps you evaluate your schedule to find time to study while pursuing a busy college schedule. You can also find tips for taking effective notes and assessing your overall study skills.
After using these lessons to check your readiness for college, you'll be ready to take on college-level work! This course offers advice on:
- Developing study skills for college
- Ensuring skill levels are met for college-level reading, writing and math
- Using resources to improve grades
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- 10 Tips for Success in Community College
- Life Skills You'll Need in College That High School Didn't Teach You
- Get an Education - and Job Skills - in College
- Sharpen Communication Skills in College
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- How to Prepare for Community College
- Preparing Students For College
- What to Expect From Community College Coursework
- College Success Scholarship by Study.com
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses