- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 15
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
Course SummaryDiversify your ratios and proportional relationships instruction and help your students meet the Common Core Mathematics Standards for grade 6 by including these lessons in your education plan. Each chapter comes with advice on ways to implement the videos with interactive exercises and homework.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
3 chapters in Common Core Math Grade 6 - Ratios & Proportional Relationships: Standards
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About the Course
The Common Core State Standards in mathematics were developed by pooling data on curricula and input on education systems from parents, students, and educators from several states. The board then identified the best state standards and developed them into comprehensive standard list in order to establish a common set of benchmarks of student academic achievement. The Grade 6 mathematics standards are split into five sections, of which Ratios & Proportional Relationships, the topic of this collection, is one. The lessons in this collection are comprised of brief and entertaining videos which are certain to hold student attention. The lecture in each video is application-focused with our instructors using many real-world examples in their discussions of key concepts. The lessons in this collection are separated into topic-based chapters including:
- Ratios and unit rate
- Solving ratio and unit rate problems
- Solving percent problems
You can use the videos in your classroom instruction or assign them as homework. Have your students take the quizzes and chapter tests to help gauge their progress and achievement of the Common Core 6th grade math standards. Incorporate the activity suggestions into your education plan for application of key concepts.
Understanding Ratios (CCSS.Math.Content.6.RP.A.1)
Standard: Understand the concept of a ratio and use ratio language to describe a ratio relationship between two quantities. For example, 'The ratio of wings to beaks in the bird house at the zoo was 2:1, because for every 2 wings there was 1 beak.' OR 'For every vote candidate A received, candidate C received nearly three votes.'
Lessons under this standard define ratios and work through one-step ratio calculations as well as working with time in ratios.
Calculating Unit Rates (CCSS.Math.Content.6.RP.A.2)
Standard: Understand the concept of a unit rate a/b associated with a ratio a:b with b ? 0, and use rate language in the context of a ratio relationship. For example, 'This recipe has a ratio of 3 cups of flour to 4 cups of sugar, so there is 3/4 cup of flour for each cup of sugar' 'We paid $75 for 15 hamburgers, which is a rate of $5 per hamburger.' *Expectations for unit rates in this grade are limited to non-complex fractions.
Help your students learn to convert ratios to rates using one-step problems.
Depicting Ratios Graphically (CCSS.Math.Content.6.RP.A.3A)
Standard: Make tables of equivalent ratios relating quantities with whole-number measurements, find missing values in the tables, and plot the pairs of values on the coordinate plane. Use tables to compare ratios.
Assign these lessons in class or as homework to develop competency in working with tables, tape diagrams, and double number lines.
Ratio & Unit Rate Problems (CCSS.Math.Content.6.RP.A.3B)
Standard: Solve unit rate problems including those involving unit pricing and constant speed. For example, if it took 7 hours to mow 4 lawns, then at that rate, how many lawns could be mowed in 35 hours? At what rate were lawns being mowed?
In these lessons, students learn to work with several different units of measurement and conversions with real-world applications.
Solving Ratio & Unit Rate Problems (CCSS.Math.Content.6.RP.A.3C)
Standard: Find a percent of a quantity as a rate per 100 (e.g., 30% of a quantity means 30/100 times the quantity); solve problems involving finding the whole, given a part and the percent.
In these fun lessons, your students learn to define percentage as an expression of a ratio and practice some basic problems including percentages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Plans for a Common Core Standards Open Resource
- The Debate Around Common Core Standards
- Common Core ELA Standards
- Common Core Math Standards
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Common Core
- How Do Study.com Courses Align With Common Core Standards?
- 5 Lessons to Help Your Students Understand the Elections
- 3 Ways Technology Can Help You Support Gifted Students
- 5 Ways to Help Your Students Have a Positive Impact on Their Communities
- Respiratory Treatment Professionals Employment Info and Requirements for Career in Respiration Treatment
- New York City Communication Colleges
- PC Engineer Job Outlook and Requirements for a Career in PC Engineering
- Dairy Scientist Job Description and Requirements for a Career in Dairy Science
- Vocational Nursing Top School with Vocational Nurse Training - San Antonio TX
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses