- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 16
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
Course SummaryDevelop your math curriculum and ensure that it meets Common Core educational requirements with this seventh grade ratios and proportional relationships standards course. Our text and video lessons are engaging, designed for kids and can be worked into homework assignments or in-class lectures.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
3 chapters in Common Core Math Grade 7 - Ratios & Proportional Relationships: Standards
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About the Course
The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics were designed to identify what students are expected to learn at each grade level. The grade 7 mathematics standards include four focus areas, including one on understanding proportional relationships and rates. The lessons in this collection were designed to help you teach the proportional relationships concepts your seventh grade students are expected to know. Our engaging videos and expert instruction from experienced educators form the core of the individual lessons, increasing students' learning in easy-to-swallow chunks. The lessons explore ratios and proportionality topics including:
- Unit rates and fraction ratios
- Proportional relationships
- Word problems with proportions
Each lesson is a complete package with an interesting and educational video or text lesson which uses fun graphics and real-world examples to engage and hold attention. You can have your students can take the lesson quiz to check understanding and measure readiness to proceed to the next lessons and chapters, and you can use the chapter tests included in each group of lessons to gauge your students' synthesis of key concepts in each standard and as standardized test practice.
Unit Rates & Ratios of Fractions (CCSS.Math.Content.7.RP.A.1)
Standard: Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas and other quantities measured in like or different units.
Assign these lessons to students to increase their understanding of proportions, calculate ratios and proportions, find unknown proportions, and calculate unit rates including ratios of fractions.
Proportional Relationships (CCSS.Math.Content.7.RP.A.2)
Standard: Recognize and represent proportional relationships between quantities.
The lessons in this chapter explore proportional relationships between quantities, constants of proportionality, the use of equations to represent proportional relationships, and graphing proportional relationships.
Solving Proportion Word Problems (CCSS.Math.Content.7.RP.A.2)
Standard: Use proportional relationships to solve multistep ratio and percent problems. Examples: simple interest, tax, markups and markdowns, gratuities and commissions, fees, percent increase and decrease, percent error.
Use these lessons to help reinforce classroom instruction related to real-world problems of calculating interest, sales commission, tips, price markups, taxes and discounts, and percentage changes. Students are given a brief introduction to multistep ratio and percent problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Common Core Math Standards
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- How Do Study.com Courses Align With Common Core Standards?
- The Debate Around Common Core Standards
- Common Core ELA Standards
- Nursing Curriculum: Core Courses of Common Nursing Programs
- Common Core Math Worksheets
- How Online Courses Work Video
- CAD Drafting and Computer Design Video: Educational Requirements and Career Options
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses