- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 15
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Course SummaryThis course can help you teach your 8th grade students math concepts that align with Common Core Standards for expressions and equations. You can use these video lessons and quizzes to ensure your lectures, homework assignments and discussion topics adhere to the appropriate educational standards.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
3 chapters in Common Core Math Grade 8 - Expressions & Equations: Standards
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About the Common Core
Videos and transcripts included in this collection can be used to supplement lesson plans aligned with the Common Core expressions and equations standards for 8th grade. The materials cover steps for working with square roots and cube roots, exponents, and linear equations. They can also show students the practical applications of these concepts.
Each lesson includes sample problems and self-assessment quizzes that can be assigned for homework. Incorrect and correct answers to the multiple-choice questions link back to video content, which can help students identify and correct errors on their own or boost confidence in their problem-solving abilities.
Radicals & Integer Exponents: CCSS.Math.Content.8.EE.A
Standard: Work with radicals and integer exponents.
These lessons begin by exploring the properties of integer exponents and familiarizing students with cube and square root symbols. They also provide tips for evaluating square roots of perfect squares and cube roots of perfect cubes. Lessons conclude with instruction on the use of scientific notation to estimate small or large quantities. Students learn to perform basic operations with figures expressed in this form as well.
Connections with Proportions, Lines, & Equations: CCSS.Math.Content.8.EE.B
Standard: Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
Help students graph equations and find the intercept of a line. These lessons can also demonstrate how to write the slope-intercept form of an equation when given the y-intercept or use congruent triangles to determine the slope. Students are also shown how lines can be used to represent proportional relationships.
Analyze & Solve Linear Equations: CCSS.Math.Content.8.EE.C
Standard: Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs of simultaneous linear equations.
Use this chapter to demonstrate the commutative, associative, and distributive properties of algebraic expressions. Lessons can teach students how to simplify linear equations by combining like terms or show them how to write and graph a linear equation. Students also learn to solve a system of equations using substitution and elimination methods and apply these techniques to real-world problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Do Study.com Courses Align With Common Core Standards?
- Common Core Math Standards
- The Debate Around Common Core Standards
- Common Core ELA Standards
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Plans for a Common Core Standards Open Resource
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- 8th Grade Math Worksheets
- Common Core Math Worksheets
- How Accepting Late Assignments Helped My Students
- Yacht Designer Employment Information for Those Pursuing a Yacht Design Career
- Senior Web Developer Job Info and Requirements for Becoming a Senior Web Developer
- Criminal Justice Degree Top University with Degree Programs in Criminal Justice - Philadelphia PA
- Municipal Clerk Employment Information for Students Considering a Career As a Municipal Clerk
- Autocad Classes Jacksonville Florida
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses