- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 108
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Programming? - Definition & Introduction for Beginning Programmers
Course SummaryThis informative and easy-to-follow Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming course is taught by experienced educators and comprised of short lessons and self-assessment quizzes. Whether you're learning a new skill or refreshing your understanding, this course can help.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
We've included concise lessons, helpful quizzes and comprehensive chapter tests in this Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming course. You'll study built-in data types for programming, conditionals and loops, functions and modules and much more when you work through this course at your own pace. You'll also find a self-assessment quiz included with each lesson to assess your understanding before you move on to other topics and lessons. Help from one of our experts is easily accessed through the Dashboard if you have any questions along the way.
You can use this course many different ways, including to study for an upcoming test, to increase working knowledge on the job or to re-format and refresh curriculum for other students.
|Computer Programming Basics||Explores compiling and debugging code, the five basic elements of programming, and setting up a coding environment for programming in Java.|
|Built-In Data Types for Programming||Explains naming conventions in Java, the char and string data types and relational and arithmetic operators.|
|Conditionals & Loops in Programming||Details nested for and while loops in Java; arithmetic operators in programming; and the Java statements continue, return and break.|
|Arrays in Programming||Outlines the code used for the Java ArrayList add and get methods as well as how to initialize an array and multiply matrices in Java.|
|Input & Output in Programming||Discusses command-line and standard input basics in Java, developing a graphical user interface (GUI) and different GUI components in Java.|
|Functions & Modules in Programming||Covers static and non-static methods in Java, the definition of modular programming and recursion in Java.|
|Object-Oriented Programming Overview||Describes the five basic concepts of object-oriented design, instantiation in Java and the difference between overloading and overriding.|
|Algorithmic Analysis, Sorting & Searching||Explains methods and experimental functions used in algorithm analysis and sort methods including selection sort, bubble sort and quick sort.|
|Stacks & Queues for Data Structures||Identifies abstract data types, circularly and doubly linked lists and double-ended queues are used in Java.|
|Tables, Maps & Graphs in Programming||Defines maps in data structures, hash tables, graph theory and binary search trees.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Computer Science Masters Degree Programs with Course Info
- Distance Learning Course in Computer Network Administration
- Should I Major in Computer Science? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Personal Computer Training Programs and Courses
- Online Baking Courses and Learning Programs
- Online Computer Science Courses, Classes and Schools
- Computer Science Schools in Alabama with Course Overviews
- Computer Science Courses in Utah with School Overviews
- Associates Degrees in Computer Science with Course Information
- Business Computer Applications Courses and Training Programs
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses