- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 106
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Course SummaryPrepare to earn credits you can use for teaching licensure renewal with our easy-to-use Contemporary Math for Teachers professional development course. Our engaging video and text lessons are professionally designed, flexible and accessible from any mobile device so you can study at your leisure.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your math teaching license with Contemporary Math for Teachers. Brush up on mathematics topics so you can better teach probabilities, statistics, graphing, and other math-related subjects. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in under two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn mathematics credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about mathematical reasoning and word problems.
- Check your knowledge of things like probabilities and graphing with practice quizzes and exams.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert mathematics instructors.
- Earn 3 college credits by taking the UExcel Mathematics exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. UExcel credits are accepted by over 1,000 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
Contemporary Math for Teachers is ideal for any teachers looking to earn credits to use towards licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Mathematics teachers who want to brush up on contemporary math topics
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging mathematics videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a contemporary mathematics unit or course
- Aspiring math teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make contemporary mathematics easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert math instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review contemporary mathematics terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn math credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including Financial Accounting for Teachers, Macroeconomics for Teachers, and Foundations of Education for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in mathematics as well as science, English, business, and other topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clinking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete Contemporary Math for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in less than two weeks. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Assignment||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1|
|Mathematical Reasoning and Problem-Solving Approaches (critical thinking, logical fallacies, principles for problem-solving) |
Math Word Problems (problems with multiple steps, restating problems, practice exercises)
|Day 2||Chapter 3||Statistics (descriptive and inferential statistics, calculating mean, median, range and mode, determining percentiles in a data set, creating and interpreting histograms)|
|Day 3||Chapter 4||Probability (mathematical sets, independent and dependent events, calculating simple conditional probabilities, the addition rule of probability)|
|Day 4||Chapter 5||Discrete Probability Distributions (random variables, probabilities with games of chance, applying discrete probability concepts in problem-solving)|
|Day 5||Chapter 6||Continuous Probability Distributions and the Normal Curve (graphing probability distributions associated with random variables, finding Z-scores, practice problems with the normal distributions)|
|Day 6||Chapter 7||Voting Mathematics (preference ballots and schedules, methods of determining winners and ranking candidates)|
|Day 7||Chapter 8||Apportionment Math (rules of political apportionment, problems with apportionment, methods of apportionment)|
|Day 8||Chapter 9||Graph Theory (concepts of graph theory, Euler paths and Euler's circuits, traveling salesmen problems, finding the most efficient circuit)|
|Day 9||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for contemporary math|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- Teachers: How to Find Time For Professional Development
- North Dakota Teacher Licensure Renewal
- How Professional Development Made ME a Better Teacher
- How to Become a Professional Video Gamer
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Why Take Online Professional Development Courses?
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Online Professional Development Opportunities for K-12 Teachers
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses