- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 75
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The History of Counseling: Before 1900
Course SummaryTake Counseling Fundamentals for Teachers to earn 3 college credits to apply toward your licensure renewal requirements. Learn with fun and engaging counseling video lessons that you can watch around your teaching schedule.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
12 chapters in Counseling Fundamentals for Teachers: Professional Development
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your teaching license with Counseling Fundamentals for Teachers. Brush up on counseling topics so you can better teach psychology, health and other related topics. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in under two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn counseling credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about types of counseling and counseling careers.
- Check your knowledge of things like human development and legal issues in counseling.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert counseling instructors.
- Earn 3 college credits by taking the DSST counseling fundamentals exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. DSST credits are accepted by over 2,000 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
Counseling Fundamentals for Teachers is ideal for teachers looking to earn credits to use toward licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Counselors and psychology teachers who want to brush up on counseling
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging counseling videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a counseling unit or course
- Aspiring counseling teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make counseling easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert counseling instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review counseling terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn counseling credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including Foundations of Education for Teachers, Microbiology for Teachers, and Biology for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in counseling as well as biology, anatomy, psychology, and other relevant topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clicking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete Counseling Fundamentals for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in less than two weeks. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Chapter||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1||The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy (history of counseling as a profession, current issues in counseling)|
|Day 2||Chapter 2||The Professional Counselor (types of counselors, specialties, work settings for counselors)|
|Day 3||Chapter 3||The Counseling Process (individual counseling, testing and assessment, the counseling relationship)|
|Day 4||Chapter 4||Theoretical Approaches in Counseling (developmental/wellness and medical/pathology models, Freud's theory, rational emotive behavior therapy)|
|Day 5||Chapter 5||Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling (licensing requirements, ethics, legal issues)|
|Day 6||Chapter 6||Human Growth and Development in Counseling (human development theories, religious and spiritual development in counseling, feminist theories in counseling)|
|Day 7||Chapter 7||School Counseling (counseling at various levels, issues in school counseling, college counseling)|
|Day 8||Chapter 8||Career Counseling (career counseling process, counseling with diverse populations, employee enhancement programs)|
|Day 9||Chapter 9||Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation Counseling (mental health counseling methods, addictions and substance abuse counseling)|
|Day 10||Chapter 10||Social and Cultural Elements of Counseling (multicultural counseling, counseling for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities, counseling the aged population)|
|Day 11||Chapter 11||Marriage and Family Counseling (couples counseling theories, the family life cycle, child abuse)|
|Day 12||Chapter 12||Group Counseling (types of group counseling, stages in group counseling experiences, ethics in group counseling)|
|Day 13||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for counseling fundamentals|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Bankruptcy Credit Counseling Certification Requirements
- North Dakota Teacher Licensure Renewal
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Careers in College Counseling: Job Options and Requirements
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- Minnesota Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Louisiana Teaching Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Ohio Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Alaska Teacher Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses