- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 217
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Demographics for English Language Learners
This course can be found in: CSET/CBEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CSET/CBEST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryCheck out this test prep course to help you prepare for the CSET English Language Development exam. We've included professionally written lessons and multiple-choice quizzes you can use 24 hours a day to prepare for an important upcoming exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CSET/CBEST Courses
About This Course
In this chapter, you'll find short video lessons and self-assessment quizzes designed to help you get ready for the CSET English Language Development exam. Some of the concepts included here are linguistic development, teaching content area vocabulary and requirements for English language learners in California. You can study as many or as few of these lessons as needed and at your own pace to build your confidence ahead of test day.
Check out our CSET-CBEST test prep materials! We've got CSET-CBEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CSET-CBEST study guides to help you study, CSET-CBEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational CSET-CBEST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
All of the subjects you'll need to know to earn a passing score on the exam are presented here. Our lessons and chapters align with the content areas covered on the exam including cultural contact in the classroom, assessment planning for ELL students and English learner typologies. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline English language proficiency standards
- Detail cognitive processes in language learning
- Provide an overview of first and second language acquisition
- Explain literacy instruction
- Discuss the state standards and assessments used in California
- Describe cultural concepts and perspectives in education
- Identify human learning and development theory
- Define language variation and functions for ESL
- Give examples of factors affecting language development
- Outline the requirements and programs for English learners in California
There are 30 chapters containing a total of 208 lessons in this study guide course. Along with each lesson and chapter, we've also included a self-assessment quiz or test to help guide your study.
CSET English Language Development Exam Information
The CSET English Language Development exam is used to test the knowledge of prospective ELL teachers in California. It's made up of three subtests covering distinct knowledge areas.
- Number of Questions: 47 in Subtest I, 34 in Subtest II and 26 in Subtest III
- Question Type: 44 multiple-choice questions and 3 constructed-response questions (Subtest I), 32 multiple-choice questions and 2 constructed-response questions (Subtest II), 24 multiple-choice questions and 2 constructed-response questions (Subtest III)
- Time Limit: 5 hours and 45 minutes (2 hours and 15 minutes for Subtest I, 2 hours for Subtest II and 1 hours and 30 minutes for Subtest III)
- Exam Cost: $297 ($99 per subtest)
CSET English Language Development Exam Breakdown
|CSET English Language Development Exam Subtest I Concept||Percent of the CSET English Language Development Exam Subtest I||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of English Learners in California and the United States||23%||11 questions||38|
|Applied Linguistics||77%||36 questions||47|
|CSET English Language Development Exam Subtest II Concept||Percent of the CSET English Language Development Exam Subtest II||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Cultural Foundations||53%||18 questions||36|
|Foundations of English Learner Education in California and the United States||47%||16 questions||14|
|CSET English Language Development Exam Subtest III Concept||Percent of the CSET English Language Development Exam Subtest III||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Principles of ELD Instruction and Assessment to Promote Receptive and Productive Language Proficiency||100%||26 questions||56|
CSET English Language Development Exam Preparation & Registration
This course is set up as a helpful resource to use in your preparations to do well on the CSET English Language Development exam. Access this course on your mobile device or computer to study assessment planning for ELL students, school support for teachers and family involvement in culturally inclusive education. This exam is offered twice a year by appointment in two four-week windows of time.
CSET English Language Development is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Prepare for Your First Online Course
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Study.com Updates
- Tax Preparer Courses and Classes Overview
- Why Take Online Professional Development Courses?
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses