- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 106
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Romantic Period in American Literature and Art
This course can be found in: CSET/CBEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CSET/CBEST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIf you need some assistance preparing for the CSET English Subtest I exam, this engaging study guide course can help. Containing short lessons and self-assessment quizzes, this course can help you do your best on test day.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CSET/CBEST Courses
About This Course
Our test preparation course is designed to help you make the most out of your studies as you prepare to take the CSET English Subtest I exam. You can work at your own pace as you review American literature, British literature and philosophy. Along with each lesson, we've included a self-assessment quiz that helps you review what you've just studied. These resources are available on any mobile device or computer 24 hours a day.
Check out our CSET-CBEST test prep materials! We've got CSET-CBEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CSET-CBEST study guides to help you study, CSET-CBEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational CSET-CBEST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course covers all the topics found on the CSET English Subtest I so you'll be fully prepared. Our brief video and text lessons can get you up to speed on literary genre and form, as well as various textual analysis strategies. After completing this course, you should be ready to:
- Outline key periods in American literature
- Provide an overview of significant British literature authors and works
- Describe literature of the ancient world
- Discuss major philosophical theories
- Detail genre and form in literature
- Analyze texts and other media
- Understand essay writing and rhetoric
- Use tools to improve your writing
- Demonstrate proper English grammar and usage
- Identify the conventions of research and citation
- Describe proper punctuation and sentence structure
In 10 chapters divided into 115 lessons, our experienced instructors cover the material found on the test so you'll be fully prepared for exam day. You can take the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to identify any areas where you might need more work.
CSET English Subtest I Exam Information
The CSET English Subtest I is one of four subtests that assesses the English language knowledge and skills of prospective teachers English teachers in the state of California. These subtests may be taken separately or at the same time.
- Number of Questions: 50
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $72
CSET English Subtest I Exam Breakdown
|CSET English Subtest I Exam Concept||Percent of the CSET English Subtest I Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Lessons|
|Reading Literature and Informational Texts||80%||40 questions||56|
|Composition & Rhetoric||20%||10 questions||59|
CSET English Subtest I Exam Preparation & Registration
We've created this course to be a one-stop preparation tool you can use to study for this exam. You'll view short lessons on punctuation, sentence structure, grammar and how to improve your writing. Check your retention after each lesson with the corresponding quiz, and use the final course assessment to gauge your readiness for the CSET English Subtest I.
The exam is offered year-round, by appointment only, at testing centers across the nation. When you're ready to register for the exam, you can do so online. You'll need to provide personal information, submit payment and specify which schools you wish to receive your test results. You can also opt to have your results emailed.
CSET English Subtest I is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How to Help Students Conduct Self-Assessments
- How Tech Can Help Teachers Create Engaging Lesson Plans
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Should I Be an English Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Help Desk Analyst Courses and Classes Overview
- How to Prepare for Your First Online Course
- Jobs that Help People in Need
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses