- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 55
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Family Structure Variations in the United States
Course SummaryReview family, community and environmental health topics with this study guide which is designed for those preparing for teacher certification in California. This guide focuses on the third subtest of the Health Science exam of the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET).
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
About This Course
The lessons contained in this comprehensive study guide address definitions, strategies and processes related to such health issues as stress, conflict, sexual activity and injuries, and health concerns caused by such environmental issues as pollution, hazardous waste and climate change. This course covers these and other topics you can expect to be tested on when taking the CSET Health Science Subtest III exam. Among those topics are:
- Types and impacts of unhealthy family behaviors
- Social and cultural factors affecting families
- Characteristics of healthy and unhealthy relationships
- Family challenges such as abuse and divorce
- Conflict, friendships and peer pressure
- Types and risks of sexually transmitted diseases
- Family planning and prenatal care
- Health services and the U.S. health care system
- Public health issues
- Cultural and economic factors impacting health care
- Emergency care and preparedness
- Injury prevention and safety relating to work, automobiles and recreational activities
- Global environmental issues
- Environmental protection agencies and policies
About the Exam
The CSET Health Science Subtest III exam is the final portion of a 3-part exam designed for those seeking certification as health science teachers in California. The computer-based test consists of 40 multiple-choice questions and one essay question which is required in the Family Life and Interpersonal Relationships domain. This subtest has a session length of one hour and 15 minutes, and a score of 220 is required for each of the three subtests.
CSET Health Science Subtest III Exam Preparation & Registration
The chapters found in this study guide offer detailed information about likely test topics found in the CSET Health Science Subtest III exam. Lessons will focus on, among other related topics, family structures, family stress sources, behavioral support and coping strategies, communication strategies, conflict resolution, sexual maturation and domestic and global family planning methods. Other areas of review include the details of a California health care plan, aspects of health insurance, the dissemination of health care information, government health regulations, various safety measures for different environments and activities, and environmental protection and health concerns. You can assess your knowledge of each topic with the use of a quiz accompanying each lesson. A printable option is available for each lesson transcript.
A 24/7 online registration process is available for those seeking to take a CSET exam. Access the California Educator Credentialing Examinations website and click on 'Register' to create an account. Once your account is created, you can pay the necessary fees and choose a date and location for your exam.
California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) is a registered trademark of the Commission on Teacher Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., or its affiliate(s), which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- California Teacher Certification Programs with School Options
- Becoming a Teacher in California: Information and Requirements
- Preparing Your Teacher Certificate for Teaching Overseas
- How to Become a High School Health Teacher
- Become a Spanish Teacher Online: How-To Guide
- Teacher Certification
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- What Type of Teacher Are You?
- Health Information Technology Degree Programs in California
- Health Technology Schools in California with Degree Overviews
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses