- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 132
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Phonology: Definition, Rules & Examples
This course can be found in: CSET/CBEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CSET/CBEST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryAspiring Spanish educators in the state of California are required to take and pass all three subtests of the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) Spanish exam. Refer to this study guide to review all of the topics you will be tested on when taking the CSET Spanish Subtest I exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CSET/CBEST Courses
About This Course
From conversational basics to verb conjugation, this comprehensive study guide is designed to fully prepare you for the CSET Spanish Subtest I exam. You can review the Spanish alphabet, verb tenses, pronouns, nouns, gender and grammar, as well as second language acquisition and language development in short, 5-10 minute video or text lessons. These lessons can be accessed as many times as needed to reinforce what you need to know, and you can even print lesson transcripts for quick reference purposes. Use the self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to check what you have retained, and monitor your progress on your handy Dashboard.
Check out our CSET-CBEST Preparation resources! We've got CSET-CBEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CSET-CBEST study guides to help you study, CSET-CBEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and CSET-CBEST informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
All of the material you need to know to achieve a passing score on the CSET Spanish Subtest I exam is covered in this course. You will learn about Spanish grammar rules, tenses, formal and informal commands, connective phrases and so much more. Once you complete this guide, you should be able to:
- Define components of language
- Explain the development and uses of language
- Name factors impacting second language development
- Pronounce the full Spanish alphabet
- Detail basic Spanish writing conventions
- Understand how to conjugate regular and irregular verbs in Spanish
- Use different tenses in Spanish
- Apply rules relating to future and past tense in Spanish
- Identify Spanish nouns, pronouns, adjectives and adverbs
- Differentiate between formal and informal Spanish grammar
- Describe Spanish conversational basics
- List connective phrases and conversation starters in Spanish
This course is made up of 19 individual chapters broken down into 132 video and text lessons. Create a flexible and convenient study schedule with 24/7 access to lessons from any device, and get expert instruction in each lesson.
CSET Spanish Subtest I Exam Information
Licensed teachers in California who wish to instruct Spanish classes must take the CSET Spanish exam to obtain the necessary certification. Candidates can take each subtest of this exam separately or all three at the same time. The details below reflect only the Spanish Subtest I exam.
- Number of Questions: 43
- Question Type: Multiple-choice and constructed-response
- Time Limit: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Exam Cost: $99
CSET Spanish Subtest I Exam Breakdown
Note that the exam breakdown percentages account for the 40 multiple-choice questions only.
|CSET Spanish Subtest I Concept||Percent of CSET Spanish Subtest I Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|General Linguistics||37%||15 questions||29|
|Linguistics of the Target Language||63%||25 questions||103|
CSET Spanish Subtest I Preparation & Registration
This guide is designed to be the most comprehensive resource available to ensure you fully understand all of the concepts you need to know for the CSET Spanish Subtest I exam. You'll study basic language information such as syntax, semantics and phonology; language development practices; and how a second language is acquired. Other lessons are devoted specifically to Spanish vocabulary, grammar rules, verb tenses, and types of pronouns, nouns and adjectives.
Easily register for this or any CSET exam by creating an account on the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). You can schedule your test online once you have submitted all registration info and remitted payment of exam fees. Once you schedule your test, a confirmation of your test date, time and location will be emailed to you. All tests are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
CSET is a trademark of the Commission on Teacher Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., neither of which is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in California
- Become a Spanish Teacher in Washington State
- Become a Spanish Teacher Online: How-To Guide
- GED in Spanish: Information on Taking the GED Test in Spanish
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in Maryland
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in Michigan
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in Kentucky
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in Virginia
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in Oregon
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in Wisconsin
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts