- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 66
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Choosing How to Organize Your Writing: Task, Purpose & Audience
This course can be found in: CSET/CBEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CSET/CBEST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryGet reacquainted with important writing concepts as you prepare for the CSET Writing Skills test. This entertaining course offers bite-sized lessons, self-assessment quizzes and exams and other resources you can access anytime to make studying simple and effective.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related CSET/CBEST Courses
About This Course
This self-paced course offers a variety of test prep tools in one convenient location to help you study for and pass the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) Writing Skills test. Use our informative lessons to ensure you understand how to correctly structure sentences and paragraphs, identify grammatical errors, make in-text citations, and complete other writing tasks on the test. Lessons are accessible 24/7 from any device and are taught by expert instructors in short, engaging video formats. Self-assessment quizzes, chapter exams and a broader course exam make it easy to check your knowledge of writing basics before the day of the test.
Check out our CSET-CBEST Preparation resources! We've got CSET-CBEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive CSET-CBEST study guides to help you study, CSET-CBEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and CSET-CBEST informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
In this comprehensive study guide, you will have the opportunity to review all of the material you must know for the CSET Writing Skills exam. You'll study information on ways in which to organize an essay, develop a thesis statement and support claims. In addition, you should be able to:
- Explain how to write to a specific task, purpose and audience
- List ways to introduce topics and develop thesis statements
- Discuss best practices for organizing essay details and maintaining a consistent point of view
- Note how to develop and support claims in essays
- Understand how to use sources and make citations in writing
- Describe syntax and semantics in writing
- Ensure correct spelling in written work
- Detail rules of capitalization and punctuation
- Identify usage errors in writing
This course is made up of 10 individual chapters broken down into 58 video and text lessons. Lessons take only minutes to review and experts are ready to answer any questions you have about this material when you reach out via a contact form that you'll find online.
CSET Writing Skills Exam Information
The CSET Writing Skills test can help satisfy a basic skills requirement when taken along with the CSET: Multiple Subjects exam. The exam consists of two constructed-response questions that reflect one's understanding of the concepts discussed in this study guide.
- Number of Questions: 2
- Question Type: Constructed-response
- Time Limit: 1.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $63
Preparing & Registering for the CSET Writing Skills Exam
Preparing for the CSET Writing Skills test is simple using the study tools in this course. Use the lessons to refresh your knowledge of any topics that you haven't studied in a while or simply want to ensure you fully understand. Reach out to our subject-matter experts with questions about lesson details you need to clarify. Short quizzes can confirm your comprehension of the lessons, while practice exams can make sure you have a good grasp of each chapter and the entire course. These resources are available around-the-clock, making it easy to study during the timeframes and in Internet-enabled locations that align with your schedule.
The process of registering for the test begins with creating or logging into your online account through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website. While in your account, you can schedule the test date, time and site. Be sure to arrive on the day of the test at least 15 minutes before your scheduled testing time with a current, government-issued ID printed in English. Arriving more than 15 minutes late could result in not being admitted. If you determine that you will need to reschedule, you must do so at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled testing time.
California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Why Writing Skills Are More Important Than Ever
- Should I Major in Creative Writing? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Work in Human Resources? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Reading & Writing Tests
- CSET/CBEST Test Preparation & Resources
- Jobs that Require Writing Skills
- Tips for Writing an Effective Cover Letter
- Writing Courses and Classes Overview
- Should I Be a Pediatrician? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Counselor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses