- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 241
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Language Acquisition? - Theories & Stages
This course can be found in: CTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CTEL study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this study guide to prepare for the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) exam, which California requires all teachers of English learners to pass. This course uses interactive video lessons and self-assessment quizzes to review the information you'll need to know to succeed on all three CTEL subtests.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
29 chapters in CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam (031/032/033): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam: Study Guide
This course is a compilation of video lessons and practice quizzes that align with the subjects that could appear on the CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined exam. The course is taught by expert instructors who examine topics like the theories, processes, and stages of language acquisition; phonology; morphology; foundations of English language literacy; and language development approaches and methods. This course is a self-paced and designed to meet your learning needs to prepare for taking the CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined exam.
Check out our CTEL test prep materials! We've got comprehensive CTEL study-guides to help you study, CTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational CTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for taking the CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined exam, covering all topics outlined in the official test materials provided by Pearson Education, Inc. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Language & Language Development
- Demonstrate knowledge of phonology and morphology
- Identify the synaptic classes, synaptic rules in English, and English sentence patterns
- Demonstrate understanding of the different social functions of language
- Apply strategies for promoting English learners' communicative competence
- Recognize pragmatic features of oral and written languages that influence or convey meaning
- Analyze the significance for teaching and learning contemporary theories of language acquisition
- Understand the development of language for social and academic purposes
- Analyze the pedagogical implications of cognitive, linguistic, and physical factors affecting the development of additional languages
Assessment & Instruction
- Demonstrate knowledge of how the California English Language Development standards support the English Language Arts standards
- Understanding of the role and purposes of assessment in programs for English learners
- Demonstrate conceptual understanding and applied knowledge of how to interpret and use the assessment results of English learners
- Identify the federal and state requirements for program implementation
- Understand the components of effective instructional delivery in ELD and SDAIE
- List the essential procedures used in planning SDAIE lessons
Culture & Inclusion
- Demonstrate knowledge of practical applications of current research and research-based theories related to cultural factors
- Differentiate the differences among various processes of cultural contact
- Identify the crucial issues and challenges faced by culturally and linguistically diverse groups in California
- Apply strategies for providing authentic opportunities for English learners to use the English language
- Demonstrate understanding of culturally inclusive curriculum and instruction
The CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined study guide practice course is broken down into 29 chapters and 234 lessons, aligning with the topics covered on the test. The brief video lessons have an average length of 8 minutes, which allows for a quick study of each item. The accompanying practice quizzes help you see how well you grasp the information.
CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 154
- Question Type: 150 multiple choice, 4 essays
- Time Limit: 6 hours for all three subtests
- Exam Cost: $260
CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam Breakdown
|Subtest||Question Type & Number|
|Language and Language Development Subtest 1||50 Multiple Choice & 1 Essay|
|Assessment and Instruction Subtest 2'||60 Multiple Choice & 2 Essays|
|Culture and Inclusion Subtest 3||40 Multiple Choice & 1 Essay|
Registering and Preparing for the CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam
Registering for this test requires that you create an account on the Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) website and submit all requested information and payment of exam fees. Once your registration is processed, log in to your CTC account and click on 'Schedule.' Choose your test date and location. Once this is verified, you will receive a confirmation email from Pearson VUE, the administrator for this exam.
Ensure that you are fully prepared to sit for the CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined exam by reviewing the information discussed in this study guide. Short, engaging video and text lessons explore such topics as phonology and morphology; different social functions of language; how the California English Language Development standards support the English Language Arts standards; development of language for social and academic purposes; and the critical issues and challenges faced by culturally and linguistically diverse groups in California. Lessons take only 5-10 minutes to review and are always accessible from any device, making it convenient and easy to study this material whenever and wherever you can. Use self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to demonstrate how much information you have retained and whether you are ready to take this CTEL Combined exam.
For more information on registering and preparing for the CTEL 1, 2, 3 Combined Exam Assessment & Instruction exam, check out our CTEL Informational Resources.
California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., or its affiliate(s), which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a High School English Teacher in California
- Becoming a Teacher in California: Information and Requirements
- Should I Be an English Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- How to Become a Teacher in California Online
- How to Become a Health Teacher in California
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in California
- How to Become a Music Teacher in California
- How to Become a French Teacher in California
- How to Become a History Teacher in California
- Emergency Teacher Certification in California
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses