- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 79
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Language Acquisition? - Theories & Stages
This course can be found in: CTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CTEL study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIn this study guide, you will review details about programs and instructional methods related to language acquisition and development. All of the material covered in this course is the same as you would be tested on when taking the first subtest of the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
9 chapters in CTEL 1 - Language & Language Development (031): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This CTEL 1 - Language & Language Development Exam Study Guide Course
Language acquisition theories, factors in language development and English language development programs are among the main topics you can explore when you use this extensive study guide in order to help you pass your CTEL 1 - Language & Language Development exam. You will also review information about ESL instructional methods, models and strategies; language functions; syntax and semantics; and sentence relation and pragmatics.
Check out our CTEL test prep materials! We've got comprehensive CTEL study guides to help you study, CTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational CTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020.
CTEL 1 - Language & Language Development Exam Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the CTEL 1 - Language & Language Development exam, covering all the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by Pearson Education, Inc. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Language Structure and Use
- Phonological and morphological skills for promoting language development, reading, and writing
- Sentence patterns, rules of syntax, and syntactic classes
- Using syntax to enhance communication understanding in learners
- Functions and variations of language
- Pragmatics and discourse
- Processes of language acquisition
- Theories of second language acquisition
- Physical, cognitive, and linguistic factors that affect language development
- Affective factors of language development
- Political and social factors that affect language development
CTEL 1 - Language and Language Development Exam Course Format
This chapter is organized into 8 chapters with 67 brief video lessons. These lessons arranged by subject are all aligned with tested objectives. Quizzes through the chapters give you the ability to closely monitor your understanding.
CTEL 1 - Language and Language Development Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 51
- Questions Type: Multiple-Choice and 1 Constructed-Response
- Time Limit: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Exam Cost: $98
CTEL 1 - Language and Language Development Exam Breakdown
|Exam Concept||Percentage of the Exam for Each Topic||Number of Questions for Each Topic|
|Language Structure and Use||50||25|
Registering and Preparing for the CTEL 1 - Language and Language Development Exam
To register for this exam, you must first create an account on the Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) website and complete the online registration process, which includes payment of subtest fees. After your registration is successfully processed, simply log onto your account and click on 'Schedule' to arrange your test date and location. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail from Pearson VUE which is contracted to administer this test.
With this study guide, you will find a quick and simple method for reviewing topics and identifying areas in which you need further study before taking the CTEL 1 - Language and Language Development exam. Video and text lessons in this course cover such topics as cognitive stages of language development; first and second language acquisition processes; influences on language development; social and cultural functions of language; and learning strategies in language development. You will also find overviews of ESL instructional models; strategies for teaching phonological and morphological skills; teaching methods for syntax, semantics and pragmatics; understanding discourse; and assessing competency in ELD programs. Access lessons from any device 24/7, get expert instruction and easily contact instructors with any lesson-specific questions. Lesson transcripts are printable if you wish to create quick reference materials. Measure what you have learned and determine your preparedness for the CTEL subtest by taking self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams found in this guide.
CTEL is a trademark of the Commission on Teaching Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- English Graduate Programs in California
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- How to Become a High School English Teacher in California
- Teaching ELL Students | Strategies for English Language Learners | Study.com
- How to Become a Sign Language Teacher: Career Guide
- Certification for English Language Teachers in Michigan
- Online Teacher Credential Programs in California
- CTEL Test Preparation & Resources
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses