- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 72
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Language Acquisition? - Theories & Stages
This course can be found in: CTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CTEL study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIn this study guide, you will review details about programs and instructional methods related to language acquisition and development. All of the material covered in this course is the same as you would be tested on when taking the first subtest of the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
9 chapters in CTEL 1 - Language & Language Development (031): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Language acquisition theories, factors in language development and English language development programs are among the main topics you will explore when you use this extensive study guide. You will also review information about ESL instructional methods, models and strategies; language functions; syntax and semantics; and sentence relation and pragmatics. After you complete your study of this guide, you should have developed a better understanding of the following:
- Language acquisition processes and stages
- Bilingual education models
- Various factors that impact language development
- Defining and teaching phonology and morphology
- Sentence types, syntax, semantics and verb tense
- Language variations and the social function of language
- Discourse in language development
- Teaching pragmatic language skills
- Evaluating various aspects of English Language Development programs
About the Exam
The CTEL 1 Language and Language Development is the first of three subtests that comprise the CTEL exam, which is used to measure an ESL teacher's competency and level of knowledge to obtain certification in this area. This computer-based exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and one essay, and test-takers are given one hour and 45 minutes to complete this test. This exam contains two domains with five competency areas each. Phonology and morphology, syntax and semantics, language functions and variation, discourse and pragmatics are covered in Domain 1. Language acquisition theories, processes and stages, second-language acquisition theories and processes, cognitive/linguistic/physical factors affecting language development, affective factors impacting language development, and sociocultural and political factors affecting language development are addressed in Domain 2. A score of 220 must be achieved to pass this subtest.
CTEL 1 Language and Language Development Exam Preparation & Registration
With this study guide, you will find a quick and simple method for reviewing topics and identifying areas in which you need further study before taking the CTEL 1 Language and Language Development exam. Video and text lessons in this course cover such topics as cognitive stages of language development; first and second language acquisition processes; influences on language development; social and cultural functions of language; and learning strategies in language development. You will also find overviews of ESL instructional models; strategies for teaching phonological and morphological skills; teaching methods for syntax, semantics and pragmatics; understanding discourse; and assessing competency in ELD programs. Access lessons from any device 24/7, get expert instruction and easily contact instructors with any lesson-specific questions. Lesson transcripts are printable if you wish to create quick reference materials. Measure what you have learned and determine your preparedness for the CTEL subtest by taking self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams found in this guide.
To register for this exam, you must first create an account on the Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) website and complete the online registration process, which includes payment of subtest fees. After your registration is successfully processed, simply log onto your account and click on 'Schedule' to arrange your test date and location. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail from Pearson VUE which is contracted to administer this test.
CTEL is a trademark of the Commission on Teaching Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a High School English Teacher in California
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- CTEL Test Preparation & Resources
- How to Become a Sign Language Teacher: Career Guide
- Tips for Taking a Praxis Test As a Non-Native English Speaker
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Computer Security Top School for Becoming an Information Systems Security Professional - San Diego CA
- Audio Engineering
- International Business Top School with an International Business Degree - Pittsburgh PA
- Top School for Becoming a Professional Web Designer - Richmond VA
- Auditing Courses Top School for Becoming an Auditor - Indianapolis IN
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses