- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 102
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Relationship Between California ELD & ELA Standards
This course can be found in: CTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CTEL study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryCalifornia requires teachers of English language learners to pass all three subsets of the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) exam. This course prepares for the Subtest 2 - Assessment and Instruction using brief, engaging video lessons, practice quizzes and other study resources.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
13 chapters in CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction (032): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This CTEL 2 -Assessment & Instruction Study Guide
This course prepares you for the CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction subtest. Video lessons and practice quizzes help you review all the information you could encounter on the CTEL 2 exam, such as standards-based assessment for English language learners (ELL), purposes and types of assessment, language and content area assessment, and foundations of English language literacy.
Check out our CTEL test prep materials! We've got comprehensive CTEL study guides to help you study, CTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational CTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the CTEL 2 Assessment & Instruction, covering all topics outlined in the official test materials provided by the Pearson Education, Inc. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives.
Assessment of English Learners
- Identify language and content area assessment for ELL
- Name the programs and requirements for ELL in California
- Describe language and content-area assessments used for ELL
The Foundations of English Language Literacy & Development
- Summarize the foundations of English language literacy
- Detail reading and writing concepts involved in English language development
Approaches & Methods for English Language Development & Content Instruction
- List approaches and methods used in facilitating English language development
- Summarize listening and speaking for California student English language development
- Explain specially designed academic instruction in English (SDAIE)
- Outline methods for instructional planning, organization and delivery for ELD & SDAIE
- Identify effective resource use in ELD & SDAIE
The CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction study guide and practice course is broken down into 11 chapters and 98 lessons, aligning with the topics covered on the test. The brief video lessons have an average length of 8 minutes, which allows for a quick study of each topic.
CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction Exam Information
The CTEL Assessment and Instruction test is the second subset of the CTEL exam used by California to certify teachers for teaching English learners.
- Number of Questions: 60 multiple-choice and 2 essays
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 45 minutes
- Exam Cost: $ 147
Registering and Preparing for the CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction Exam
Registering for this test requires that you create an account on the Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) website and submit all requested information and payment of test fees. Once your registration is processed, log in to your CTC account and click on 'Schedule.' Choose your test date and location. Once this is verified, you will receive a confirmation email from Pearson VUE, the administrator for this exam.
Ensure that you are fully prepared to sit for the CTEL 2 Assessment and Instruction subtest by reviewing the information discussed in this study guide. Short, engaging video and text lessons explore such topics as California state-mandated standardized assessments and assessment types, formal and informal ELD assessments, federal and state program requirements and design, learning strategies for English learners and ELD classroom resources. You will also study overviews of California state standards regarding the development of listening, reading and writing skills; lesson planning and teaching strategies in literacy and language development; and ELD and ELL instructional implementation methods. Lessons take only 5-10 minutes to review and are always accessible from any device, making it convenient and easy to study this material whenever and wherever you can. Use self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to demonstrate how much information you have retained and whether you are ready to take this CTEL subtest.
For more information on registering and preparing for the CTEL 2 Assessment & Instruction exam, check out our CTEL Informational Resources.
CTEL is a trademark of the Commission on Teaching Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a High School English Teacher in California
- How to Become a Teacher in California Online
- How to Become a Music Teacher in California
- How to Become a French Teacher in California
- How to Become a Health Teacher in California
- How to Become a Spanish Teacher in California
- How to Become a History Teacher in California
- Certification for English Language Teachers in Michigan
- Teaching ELL Students | Strategies for English Language Learners | Study.com
- Becoming a Teacher in California: Information and Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses