- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 101
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Relationship Between California ELD & ELA Standards
This course can be found in: CTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ CTEL study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to this study guide to review instructional and learning strategies and assessment methods in English language development and reading and writing. This is a helpful resource if you are preparing to take the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
13 chapters in CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction (032): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Assessment types for ELL students, literacy program development and ELL instructional delivery methods are among the topics addressed in this extensive course. You will find lessons covering California state-based approaches and programs for language and reading development, state standardized assessments, ELL program requirements and standards in writing. Once you have completed your review of the lessons in this course, you should have developed a deeper understanding of the following:
- ELL standards-based assessment practices in California
- Assessment types and purposes
- Aspects of California state English learning programs
- Factors impacting literacy development
- Approaches to English language development
- The development of listening and speaking skills
- California standards for reading, writing and language development
- ELL lesson and instructional planning strategies
- ELL and ELD instructional implementation and accommodation methods
About the Exam
The CTEL 2 Language and Language Development is the second subtest of the three-part CTEL exam, which is used to determine the competency level of teachers seeking to obtain ESL certification in the state of California. This subtest is computer-based and contains 60 multiple-choice questions and two essay questions. The CTEL 2 subtest consists of three domains addressing assessment, language/literacy development and content instruction, and approaches and methods for ELD and content instruction. Test-takers are allotted two hours and 45 minutes to complete this subtest and must score 220 to pass this portion of the CTEL exam.
CTEL 2 Assessment and Instruction Preparation & Registration
Ensure that you are fully prepared to sit for the CTEL 2 Assessment and Instruction subtest by reviewing the information discussed in this study guide. Short, engaging video and text lessons explore such topics as California state-mandated standardized assessments and assessment types; formal and informal ELD assessments; federal and state program requirements and design; learning strategies for English learners; and ELD classroom resources. You will also study overviews of California state standards regarding the development of listening, reading and writing skills; lesson planning and teaching strategies in literacy and language development; and ELD and ELL instructional implementation methods. Lessons take only 5-10 minutes to review and are accessible at all times from any device, making it convenient and easy to study this material whenever and wherever you can. Use self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to demonstrate how much information you have retained and whether you are ready to take this CTEL subtest.
Registering for this test requires that you create an account on the Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) website and submit all requested information and payment of test fees. Once your registration is processed, log in to your CTC account and click on 'Schedule.' Choose your test date and location. Once this is verified, you will receive a confirmation email from Pearson VUE, the administrator for this exam.
CTEL is a trademark of the Commission on Teaching Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a High School English Teacher in California
- English As a Foreign Language (EFL) Degrees for Teachers
- English for Internet: Listening, Pronunciation, Reading, and Writing
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- English Graduate Programs in California
- Should I Be an English Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Distance Learning Master of English Language Arts Degrees
- ESL (English Second Language): Adult Education for ESL Teachers
- Middle School English Language Teacher Career Info
- Active Learning | Definition & Strategies for Teachers
- Medical Information Manager Job Duties and Requirements for a Medical Info Management Career
- Top Ranked Graphic Design and Animation Degree Programs - Richmond VA
- Bankruptcy Credit Counseling Certification
- Top School Offering Courses and Degrees in Web Design - Cheyenne WY
- Cosmetic Dentists Job Description and Info About a Career in Cosmetic Dentistry
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses