- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 50
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Curriculum?
Course SummaryThis thorough course provides teachers with the skills and knowledge they need to develop effective and engaging curriculum. Watch video lessons that cover types of curriculum, learning goals and assessments, and contact our experts with any questions.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Written by fellow teachers, this course guides you through the steps and details of curriculum development. The engaging video lessons cover topics ranging from a general introduction of curriculum to the components of curriculum design and more.
How It Works
Through videos and easy-to-understand text lessons, this course will provide you with both an overview of curriculum development basics and cover specific topics you may encounter as you work on through your own curriculum. Each lesson and its corresponding quiz can also be accessed on any mobile device, at any time.
This course includes:
- A lesson sequence that lets you start with the basics of defining curriculum and continue to explore curriculum development at your own pace
- Timelines to help you seek out the topics you're looking for and keep track of where you are
- Transcripts of each video lesson allowing you to choose your method of learning
- Quizzes on each lesson enabling you to check on your understanding of the course before moving further into it
- Chapter exams on several facets of curriculum development, including core curriculum, K-12 curriculum, the curriculum development process, and more
- A final exam allowing you to test your comprehension of the detailed curriculum development topics covered
How It Helps
- Broad application of ideas: While you may encounter several different forms of curriculum, this course starts by going over the basics to remind you about the key guiding points of curriculum development.
- Understand the range and content of curriculum: This course will help you navigate through the learning goals presented in curriculum aimed at grades K-12 and how to determine the correct content.
- Know when to change direction: These lessons can help you understand when curriculum should be renewed as well as how to go about developing a new sequence of curriculum.
|Curriculum Development||Familiarize yourself with the general facets of curriculum|
Define K-12 curriculum
Understand the process of curriculum design
Know the core components of curriculum at each grade level
|Types of Curriculum||Learn about layered and spiral curriculum|
Understand the concept of differentiated instruction and cross-curricular teaching
|Planning the Curriculum||Understand what goes into curriculum planning|
Familiarize yourself with the tools of a curriculum model and guide
Learn about creative curriculum
|Learning Goals and Objectives||Learn to develop measurable learning objectives and create curriculum themes|
|Learning Experiences in Curriculum||Explore engaging ways of creating learning experiences within curriculum|
Learn about crafting effective lesson plans
Understand how scaffolding is used in education
|Assessments in Curriculum||Understand the importance of instructional objectives to student assessments|
Learn about Bloom's taxonomy and assessments
Differentiate between ongoing and culminating assessments
Gain informal observation strategies in assessments
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- 7 Strategies for Developing Your Own Curriculum As a New Teacher
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Home Economics Curriculum with Course Descriptions
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- What Would a Common Curriculum Mean for Teachers and Students?
- Construction Management Courses Online: Curriculum Overview
- Course Curriculum of a Master's Degree in Library Science
- Herbal Studies Degree Programs with Course Curriculum
- Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses