- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 62
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Roots of the Vietnam War: Learning Objectives & Activities
This course can be found in: DSST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ DSST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryTake this flexible test prep course to review all the history topics you need to know before taking the DSST History of the Vietnam War exam. Our video lessons and quizzes act as an interactive, comprehensive study guide you can access from any mobile device at any time to prepare for this test and earn college credit. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related DSST Courses
About This Course
In as little as one week, you can earn three upper-level college credits with this History of the Vietnam War DSST test prep course. Our fun and engaging video lessons allow you to prepare for the DSST at your own pace. The credits that you earn can be transferred to nearly 2,000 colleges and universities.
You'll learn all of the topics typically taught in a one-semester history of the Vietnam War course, including the First Indochina War, the Gulf of Tonkin crisis and resolution, the My Lai massacre and the fall of Saigon. You'll become familiar with the major causes and effects of the Vietnam War. Use our video lessons and quizzes to get a firm grip on all of the essential Vietnam War topics.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus and Course Information
After completing this DSST History of the Vietnam War course, you'll have mastered the following objectives. These objectives correspond closely with the material covered on the DSST exam. Our final exam can help you decide whether or not you're ready to take the DSST exam on the history of the Vietnam War.
- Explore the history of Indochina during the first half of the 20th century.
- Follow the ascendance of Ho Chi Minh and examine the foreign policy of Roosevelt and Truman.
- Get an overview of the First Indochina War.
- Examine Eisenhower's foreign policy, Ngo Dinh Diem's origins, his relationship with the U.S. and the birth of the Viet Cong.
- Learn how Kennedy's advisors helped shape foreign policy during the war's early years.
- Identify U.S. strategies and discuss the impact of events occurring in 1963, such as Kennedy's assassination.
- Examine the results of the Gulf of Tonkin Crisis.
- Investigate significant air campaigns as well as Johnson's decision to put troops on the ground.
- Study the first wave of American dissent.
- Explore tactics employed by the People's Army of North Vietnam and the Viet Cong.
- Analyze Nixon's plan to withdraw American forces and the secret operations in Cambodia and Laos.
- Look into the second wave of American dissent, especially in Congress.
- Follow the negotiations leading to the Paris Peace Accords.
- Examine early American engagements, such as the Battle of Ap Bac, Operation Starlite and the Battle of the la Drang Valley.
- Study the war's only airborne engagement as well as the North Vietnamese's Tet and Easter offensives.
- Read about the American-led massacre at My Lai.
- Follow the events leading to the Fall of Saigon.
- Investigate the Khmer Rouge's genocide in Cambodia and the communist takeover of Laos.
- Identify the impact of the war on veterans and subsequent U.S. foreign policy.
There are no prerequisites for this course. Start learning about the history of the Vietnam War today, even if you've never taken a history course!
This History of the Vietnam War DSST exam prep course is broken down into chapters and lessons for easy digestibility of the concepts presented. The course contains 32 short lessons that are divided amongst seven chapters. Each video lesson averages 5-10 minutes in length and includes a short quiz and accompanying written transcript. At the end of each chapter, you can take a chapter exam to test your understanding before you move further along. Our course allows you to keep tracks of the lessons you've viewed and quizzes you've passed. Once you've completed all chapters, you can take our final exam to ensure you're ready for the DSST exam. Our course experts are available to answer any questions you may have along the way.
A History of the Vietnam War DSST Exam Information
The credit earned by passing the History of the Vietnam War DSST exam is equivalent to a one-semester, upper-division undergraduate course. Students may take this course as part of a history major curriculum or to fulfill elective course requirements.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $80 (plus testing site administrative costs)
Earn DSST Credit
Taking the DSST exam is an affordable way to earn college credit. For a fraction of the cost of taking a traditional history of the Vietnam War course, you can earn three college credits that can be transferred to more than 2,000 colleges and universities across the country. This course is the most efficient and flexible way to prepare for the exam and earn college credit.
Study Schedule for the History of the Vietnam War DSST Exam
This course consists of just over three hours of instruction. Study at your own pace, any time you want. You can use the table below to determine when to schedule your exam. Be sure to schedule ahead of time to ensure you secure a time slot. Learn more about earning college credit with the DSST exam.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||1 week|
|30 minutes a day; 3 days a week||2 weeks|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Prepare for AP, CLEP, DSST & UExcel Tests
- Study.com Now Has 150 Courses Available For College Credit
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- History Quizzes
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How Do I Earn Credit Through Study.com?
- Study.com Updates
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses