- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 121
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is a Variable in Algebra?
This course can be found in: DSST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ DSST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this convenient test prep course to prepare for the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra exam in about three weeks. The course contains short video lessons and quizzes that cover everything you need to know for the DSST college algebra test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
14 chapters in DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra: Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related DSST Courses
About This Course
This comprehensive study resource can help you prepare for the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra exam in just over three weeks. The course is entirely self-paced and it offers a fast, affordable and convenient method for studying for the exam, which can earn you 3 transferrable college credits.
Inside the course, you'll find short and engaging video and text-based lessons that cover the information you'd typically learn in an introductory college algebra course, such as functions, complex numbers, exponentials and logarithms. Our lessons are designed to be simple and concise, which allows you to quickly learn and retain the information so you'll be ready for the exam.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The course covers several learning objectives that are aligned with the concepts and types of questions you can expect on the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra exam. To help you practice what you learn and make sure you're fully prepared for the DSST test, we've included chapter exams and a final practice exam. These lessons can help you:
- Explore the different types of numbers and parts of a graph
- Get information on linear equations, abstract algebraic examples and systems of equations
- Examine matrices and absolute values
- Learn to take a determinant of a matrix and graph an absolute value equation
- Define inequalities and learn to graph them
- See how to solve an absolute value inequality
- See what a parabola is, with real life examples, and learn to graph them
- Get information on using FOIL to factor quadratics equations and how to complete the square
- Learn about imaginary numbers
- See how to perform operations with complex numbers
- Be able to name the five main exponent properties and define a zero and negative exponent
- Discover how to graph cubics, quartics, quintics and beyond
- Learn about dividing polynomials
- Study how to add, subtract, multiply and divide rational expressions and solve rational equations
- Learn about function notation, transformations and inverse functions
- See how to compose functions and how to find an inverse function
- Define exponentials and logarithms, and learn to solve exponential and logarithmic equations
- See how to graph exponential growth and decay
- Explore how to evaluate factorials and learn about the binomial theorem and its real life applications
- Practice applying the binomial theorem
- Get information on mathematical, geometric and arithmetic sequences and how to find and classify them
- Explore summation notation and mathematical series
There are no prerequisites for this introductory course. You can start learning even if you haven't taken a college algebra course before!
This course's 102 lessons are divided into 12 chapters, each containing 5-12 lessons. Each lesson takes about 5-10 minutes to complete and you can check your understanding of the material by taking a short self-assessment quiz following each lesson. Lesson transcripts are available to print so you can further review important algebra terms, formulas, theorems and concepts. Our instructors are available to answer any clarifying question you may have, and you can review lessons as many times as you need to. After completing the course, try taking the final exam to make sure you're ready to pass the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra exam.
DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra Exam Information
The DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra exam is equal to a typical one-semester college algebra course. This exam satisfies a general education requirement for math and may be accepted as a prerequisite for more advanced math courses.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 120 minutes
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: DSST exam fees are typically $80, although certain institutions may require an additional test administration fee
DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra Exam Breakdown
|DSST Exam Concept||Percent of the DSST Exam||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Fundamental Algebraic Operations||4%||4 questions|
|Factoring Polynomials Over Real Numbers||6%||6 questions|
|Rational Expressions||7%||7 questions|
|Exponential and Radical Expressions||8%||8 questions|
|Linear Equations||12%||12 questions|
|Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities||6%||6 questions|
|Quadratic Equations and Inequalities||12%||12 questions|
|Equations Involving Radicals||6%||6 questions|
|Complex Numbers||5%||5 questions|
|Two-Dimensional Graphing||14%||14 questions|
Earn DSST Credit
This DSST exam is worth 3 transferrable baccalaureate credits that may be accepted at over 1,900 colleges and universities that award DSST credit. Testing out of a lower-division college course can help you graduate much faster and significantly cut down on the cost of your degree program. Test takers are encouraged to check with their institution to make sure that their school accepts DSST credit-by-exam.
Study Schedule for the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra Exam
This test prep course takes about 10 hours to complete. These lessons are available to study whenever you have free time, and you can consult the table below to figure out how long it will take you to prepare.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 2 days a week||Less than 2 weeks|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||A week and a half|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||Just over 3 weeks|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Prepare for AP, CLEP, DSST & UExcel Tests
- DSST Test Preparation & Resources
- Video: What You Need to Know About Applying to College
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- Preparing for Community College Placement Tests
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- What College Courses Do You Need to Be a Financial Advisor?
- List of Free Online Algebra Courses and Lessons
- How to Do Your Best on Every College Test
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses