- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 96
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The History of Counseling: Before 1900
This course can be found in: DSST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ DSST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryAs you get ready to take the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling exam, utilize the flexible study tools in our test prep course to increase your knowledge and boost your confidence. Learn more about the format of the exam by taking our brief quizzes and practice exam, which have questions similar to those on the exam itself.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related DSST Courses
About This Course
Take just a few weeks to watch quick and engaging video lessons, and you can earn real college credit. This counseling fundamentals course prepares you to take the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling exam and earn three credits that you can transfer to more than 1,900 colleges and universities nationwide.
The course features fun video lessons that offer comprehensive instruction on all the topics found in a lower-level college course on counseling fundamentals, such as counseling specialties, theories on counseling and behavior, human growth and development and marriage counseling. The concise and entertaining videos are easy to watch and help you retain all the critical info you'll need for the exam.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
You'll be knowledgeable on the following objectives after you've viewed all the lessons in this course. These objectives correspond to the questions asked on the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling exam. If you want additional preparation, you can take the final exam that concludes this course.
- Explore the foundations of counseling and the rise of vocational and educational counseling through the 1940s along with the emergence of the clinical counseling profession in the late 20th century.
- Discover the terminology used to describe counseling specialties and discern between the different types of professionals working in this field.
- Recognize the qualities of an effective counselor, learn about their education and licensing requirements, and compare and contrast their work settings.
- Examine the differences between individual and group counseling. Understand the counseling intake and initial interview processes and types and uses of assessment testing.
- Discuss the basis of counseling theory before delving into the influence of Freud and psychoanalytic theory.
- Examine the advantages and disadvantages of psychodynamic, Alderian, behavioral, cognitive, rational emotive behavior, and reality therapies.
- Learn more about licensing and certification requirements for counselors. Describe the ethical implications of client rights and confidentiality and list some of the most common ethical violations.
- Recognize the significance of Freud's, Piaget's, and Jung's early human development theories and learn about the eight stages of Erik Erikson's life span development theory.
- Study the activities associated with elementary, middle, and high school counseling and consider the common issues among children at these various age levels.
- Discover the career counseling process and the practical applications of various career development theories.
- Consider the definition of mental health counseling and describe prevention and treatment techniques used in alcohol, drug abuse and addictions counseling.
- Learn the history and definition of multicultural counseling and explore the issues facing clients who represent a variety of cultural, social, and ethnic groups.
- Check out the theories and processes involved in marriage, couples, and family counseling.
- Discuss stages in the family life cycle and the issues that result from changing family patterns.
- Identify the types of groups and discuss the need for this type of counseling approach. Examine group counseling theories and techniques for screening group members, determining group size, and deciding on session duration.
Prerequisites aren't needed for this lower-level course. Students can start learning about counseling fundamentals right away.
This exam prep course is composed of video lessons and quizzes. The course has 75 video lessons contained in 12 chapters. Video lessons are quick and can be watched in about five to ten minutes. You'll find short quizzes at the end of each lesson and a written transcript in case you want to read along with the video.
If you are confused about the materials, you can ask questions of the instructors who lead these lessons. You'll also find a progress tracking tool that you can use to determine how many videos you've watched and quizzes you've taken. A chapter exam concludes each chapter and the course culminates with a final exam.
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling Exam Information
The questions on the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling exam test your knowledge of subjects commonly found in a lower-level college counseling course. This 1-semester course is typically taken in the first or second year of college. An introductory counseling course can be used to meet general education requirements. Counseling majors or those in related fields would likely take this course before continuing on to more advanced counseling courses.
- Number of Questions: Approximately 100
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3
- Exam Cost: $80
Fundamentals of Counseling DSST Exam Breakdown
|DSST Exam Concept||Percent of the DSST Exam||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Historical Development||5%||5 questions|
|Counselor Roles and Functions||20%||20 questions|
|The Counseling Relationship||15%||15 questions|
|Theoretical Approaches||20%||20 questions|
|Social and Cultural Foundations||15%||15 questions|
|Career Development||7%||7 questions|
|Human Growth and Development||8%||8 questions|
|Assessment and Appraisal Techniques||10%||10 questions|
Earn DSST Credit
Passing the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling exam leads to three transferable college credits that you can use to reduce the amount of time you spend in college by half. Using credit-by-exam can also save you money on college tuition. This prep course is an expedient and efficient way to prepare for the exam and quickly earn college credit.
Study Schedule for the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling Exam
About eight hours of instructional hours are included in this prep course. Lessons are flexible, so you can choose the study time that works best for your schedule. The timetable below can help you determine how many weeks it will take you to get ready for the exam. Consider calling your test center well ahead of time to make an appointment and get the test time slot that you want.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||Less than 1 week|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||About 1.5 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||Just under 3 weeks|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Compass Exams
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- Where Can I Take a Child Care Exam Online?
- Measured Progress Exams
- EMT Test and Exam Information with Tips
- GED Practice Test Online with Example GED Practice Test Questions
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- The Importance of Being Healthy During Exams
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses