- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 112
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Understanding the Field of Anthropology
Course SummaryPrepare for the DSST General Anthropology exam in just a few weeks with this comprehensive study guide course. Our learning tools can help earn a passing score on the exam, which can then enable you to earn college credit at the same time.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Earn up to three college credits by using this course to prepare for the DSST General Anthropology exam. The video lessons in this course offer you a fun and engaging way to quickly study for the test and earn credit that can be transferred to higher learning institutions throughout the U.S. All of the topics typically found in a semester-long general anthropology college course are covered in this online, self-paced prep course. You'll study major theories on anthropology, ethnicity and geography, as well as the nature of culture and spatial processes. This mobile-friendly course is available around-the-clock, and it comes with bite-sized video lessons, practice quizzes, printable transcripts, expert tutoring opportunities and much more.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
When you've watched all the lessons in this course, you could have mastery of the following objectives. These objectives align with the questions you'll see on the DSST General Anthropology exam. The course's chapter exams and final assessment can provide you with additional preparation for the DSST exam. When you're finished with the course, you should be able to:
- Explain concepts in general, physical, cultural, linguistic and archaeological anthropology
- Identify subdivisions in the geologic time scale
- Understand causes of prehistoric, modern and contemporary human migrations
- Pinpoint factors affecting population size and the Earth's carrying capacity
- Explore the implications of the Neolithic agricultural revolution
- Define ethnicity and learn why some ethnicities transform into nationalities
- Classify the levels of culture and the types of cultural variation
- Study the history of the alphabet and the invention of writing
- Survey traits of foraging, pastoral, horticultural and agricultural societies
- Learn how anthropologists study groups' resource management and economic systems
- Distinguish between unilateral, bilateral, matrilineal and patrilineal descent
- Explore sources of government conflict and the types of political organizations
- Peruse theories explaining the origin of religion
- Study the acculturation process and factors causing modernization
The DSST General Anthropology prep course is made up of 97 lessons conveniently organized into 12 chapters. Each comprehensive video lesson lasts about five to ten minutes and features a short quiz and lesson transcript. Use the quizzes to solidify your understanding of the material and reference the transcripts if you want to check on a key concept or just follow along with the videos. At the end of each chapter, an exam is available to help you see which areas you need to review.
DSST General Anthropology Exam Information
The questions you'll be asked on the DSST General Anthropology exam cover the same topics found in a semester-long general anthropology college course that you would likely take within your first one to two years of college. Passing the exam can fulfill general education requirements at your college or university.
- Number of Questions: 100
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $85
DSST General Anthropology Exam Breakdown
|DSST General Anthropology Exam Concept||Percent of the DSST General Anthropology Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Anthropology: Methodologies and Disciplines||8%||8||7|
|History and Theory||11%||11||19|
|Physical Anthropology||13 %||13||10|
|Cultural Systems and Processes||14%||14||16|
|Economic and Political Organization||11%||11||8|
|Modernization and application||12%||12||5|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Earning Low Cost College Credit with the CLEP Exams
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- How to Use Dual Degree Programs to Earn High School and College Credit at the Same Time
- Get $1000 for Earning College Credit!
- College Student Elisa Fleming Earns College Credit in Two Weeks for Less Than $100
- How CLEP Exams Work to Earn a Debt-Free College Degree
- Is IT Possible to Earn College Credit for Free?
- How Do I Earn Credit Through Study.com?
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses