- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 128
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Religion? - Definition & Role in Society
This course can be found in: DSST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ DSST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryAs you're preparing for the DSST Introduction to World Religions exam, use the learning tools in this fun study guide course to improve your chances of getting a great score on the test. You'll review Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism, along with all the other religions and topics you'd expect to see on the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
14 chapters in DSST Introduction to World Religions: Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related DSST Courses
About This Course
Earn three college credits quickly by passing the DSST Introduction to World Religions exam after spending a few weeks studying with our prep course. Our course features a self-paced video format and is a quick way to study for the exam and earn credit you can easily transfer to more than 1,900 colleges and universities.
Topics that you would find in a 1-semester introductory world religions college course are presented in this course. Learn theories on the origins of religion and discover the early mother goddess. Religious concepts and figures are brought to life through engaging and fun video lessons on Buddhism, Confucianism, Islam, Christianity and more.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Once you've watched all the lessons in this course, you'll have mastered the objectives below. Questions on the DSST Introduction to World Religions exam correspond to these objectives. Use the chapter exams and final exam in this course for extra preparation.
- Get the definition of religion and theories on religion's origin. Survey types of primal religions and mystery cults.
- Explore the myths of Babylon, Greece and Rome alongside Meso-American religions and rites of passage.
- Study the origins of Hinduism, its sacred texts and its deities. Get a synopsis of the Bhagavad Gita and the Epic of Ramayana.
- Differentiate between the Hindu castes, the four stages of life and the four aims.
- Examine the founding of Buddhism and the significance of the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and the Middle Way.
- Discover the origins of the Dalai Lama.
- Consider the beginnings of Confucianism as well as its five relationships.
- Examine the concept of the dual soul and the teachings of Mencius, Hsun-tzu and Tung Chung-shu.
- Explore the origins of Taoism and get an overview of its texts. Follow the development of institutional Taoism and examine the effects of this religion on science.
- Study the biography of Muhammad and examine the Qur'an. Identify the five pillars of the Islamic faith and Sharia law.
- Learn to differentiate between Sunni and Shiite sects as well as offshoots of Islam.
- Review the differences between monotheism and polytheism.
- Identify the laws and beliefs of Judaism as outlined in the Torah and Talmud. Study the history of Jewish denominations, holidays and rituals.
- Get a synopsis of the Gospels. Consider the early Christian church's persecution and ties to Judaism.
- Follow the Crusades and assess schisms between Eastern and Western churches.
- Survey the lives of St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and Martin Luther.
Prerequisites aren't needed for this course. Get started right away learning about world religions.
The DSST Introduction to World Religions prep course consists of video lessons and quizzes. The course has 92 video lessons divided into eight chapters. The short video lessons are about five to ten minutes long and come with quick quizzes to test your comprehension of the materials and lesson transcripts in case you want to follow along or refer back to a key point.
The progress tracking tool is useful for determining how many lessons you've viewed and quizzes you've passed. Exams close out each chapter and the course concludes with a final exam. If you have questions about the materials, course experts can help you out.
DSST Introduction to World Religions Exam Information
The DSST Introduction to World Religions exam equates to a 1-semester college course on world religions that you would typically take in your first or second year of college. This course is often used to meet general education requirements. Religion majors might be required to take this course before continuing on to advanced courses in this field.
- Number of Questions: Approximately 100
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3
- Exam Cost: $80
Earn DSST Credit
Passing the DSST Introduction to World Religions exam leads to three college credits that you can use to earn your degree quickly. Taking the DSST exam in world religions can also help you cut the cost of your degree in half. This course is the fastest and most effective way to prepare for the exam and earn college credit quickly.
Study Schedule for the DSST Introduction to World Religions Exam
This course has about nine hours of instruction in a flexible format - so you can choose the study schedule that works best for you. Use the timetable below as a guide to determine when you should schedule the exam. To make sure you get a time slot when you're ready, call the test center early to make an appointment.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||About 1 week|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||About 1.5 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||About 3 weeks|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- World Religion Course and Class Information
- Online Courses in World Religion: Course Descriptions
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- 4 Universities with Free Theology & World Religions Courses Online
- List of Free Online Religion Courses, Classes and Learning Materials
- Online Religion Courses Overview
- Religion Courses and Classes Overview
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Comparative Religion Courses: Information and Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses