- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 167
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1History of Computers: Timeline & Evolution
This course can be found in: DSST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ DSST study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryCheck out this convenient online test prep course to get ready for the DSST Management Information Systems exam. Inside, you'll find engaging video lessons and interactive quizzes that cover all of the concepts you'll need to know for the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
18 chapters in DSST Management Information Systems: Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related DSST Courses
About This Course
This course can help you become fully prepared for the DSST Management Information Systems exam in a few short weeks. After completing the course and passing the exam, you'll earn 3 college credits that can be transferred to many colleges and universities.
The course contains short and engaging lessons that explore concepts that appear on the exam, such as computer hardware and software, data resource management, information security and much more. The course also comes with lesson quizzes and chapter exams to help you remember important information.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
We've aligned this course's chapters and lessons with all of the topics that you'll be tested on. Review the lessons whenever it's convenient, and solidify your comprehension of the material with the self-assessment quizzes. By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Identify and explain computer hardware, including the history of hardware, key components, devices and terminology
- Recognize various types of computer systems and architecture, including enterprise, workgroups and subsystems
- Apply systems analysis to different types of systems, including systems development methods, life cycles and processes
- Recognize different types of programming, algorithms and end-user computing
- Recognize computer software/programming, understand their evolution and differentiate among different types of software and applications
- Evaluate telecommunications components, networks, related communication components and the web
- Differentiate between various communication systems related to computing and the web
- Understand how Management Information Systems (MIS) relates to the organization
- Recognize business information systems including electronic commerce, enterprise planning, customer relation management, supply management and product lifecycle management
- Apply concepts of business decision making related to technology, the enterprise and project management
- Understand how knowledge management is used and applied in the organization, and define terms like data capture, data warehousing, data mining and interchange
- Apply managing data systems including database concepts, queries, cloud computing and data reasonableness
- Assess information security principles, types of information security, information security policy and systems.
- Recognize privacy issues relating to information security and information systems, including the impact of technology on privacy, intellectual property and data encryption.
- Understand ethical legal and social issues relating to information systems management.
- Recognize global issues relating to managing information systems, including outsourcing, how technology impacts global locales, global logistics and global security concerns.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
The course's 16 chapters are broken down into 138 lessons that are taught by subject matter experts who use an approachable and simple teaching style. The bite-sized nature of the lessons allows you to quickly move through the course and review the most important management information systems concepts. The video lessons are easy to navigate, and they come with printable transcripts and interactive quizzes. The course is available to study at any time that fits your schedule. Use any computer or mobile device to study, and work through the course at your own pace. If you have any questions, our instructors will be happy to answer them. You can also make sure you're fully prepared for the DSST exam by taking the course's final assessment.
DSST Management Information Systems Exam Information
Student who pass this test receive 3 lower-level baccalaureate college credits. The credits may be used to satisfy general education requirements at your school, as well as lower division requirements for technology-related degree programs.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3 lower-level baccalaureate credits
- Exam Cost: DSST exams usually cost around $80
DSST Management Information Systems Exam Breakdown
|DSST Exam Concept||Percent of the DSST Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Computer Hardware||9%||9 questions||12 lessons|
|Computer Software||6%||6 questions||21 lessons|
|Telecommunications and Networks||11%||11 questions||31 lessons|
|Business Information Systems||9%||9 questions||16 lessons|
|Systems Analysis and Design||9%||9 questions||15 lessons|
|Managing Data Resources||12%||12 questions||11 lessons|
|Business Decision Making||16%||16 questions||7 lessons|
|MIS and the Organization||12%||12 questions||7 lessons|
|MIS Issues||16%||16 questions||18 lessons|
Earn DSST Credit
DSST exams can help you save time and money on your college education. Instead of sitting through a semester-long and expensive college course, you can quickly study for the exam, pass it and earn 3 credits. This course offers you an efficient way to get ready for this exam.
Study Schedule for the DSST Management Information Systems Exam
This course has around 18 hours of lessons. To get an idea of how long it may take you to complete the course, see the table below:
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||2 weeks|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||3 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||6 weeks|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Prep for College When You Don't Know Which School You'll Attend
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- Test Prep
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- DSST Test Preparation & Resources
- How to Prepare for AP, CLEP, DSST & UExcel Tests
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- Online Test Prep Options for the GED Test
- How to Become a Video Game Tester Online
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses