- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 95
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Management Roles and Principles
Course SummaryIf you are planning on taking the DSST Principles of Supervision exam, use these engaging text and video lessons to review all of the topics you'll need to know. The course can be accessed at any time that fits your schedule, and it comes with plenty of practice quizzes to help you master the material.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The DSST Principles of Supervision exam can help you earn three semester hour credits that can be transferred to many universities in the United States. If you want to improve your chances of getting a passing score on the exam, watch the video lessons included in this online course for clear and comprehensive overviews of key topics you may be tested on.
The topics covered in this course correspond to the main objectives found on this DSST exam. These lessons teach you about the functions and responsibilities of management, leadership skills and communication. This course's interactive, online format makes it much easier to grasp some of the more complex topics you need to know for the exam.
Check out our DSST test prep materials! We've got DSST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive DSST study guides to help you study, DSST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational DSST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
After completing this course, you will have met the following objectives. These objectives correspond to the actual DSST exam, so these lessons provide you with an indispensable study guide. If you would like to see if you have accurately understood the main topics in the course, answer the questions found in the course's final exam.
- Survey managerial and supervisory skills.
- Compare formal and personal types of leadership power.
- Explore business ethics topics, including compliance- and integrity-based ethical codes and the social responsibility of organizations.
- Discover the four functions of management, the seven steps of decision making and various problem-solving methods used by supervisors.
- Explore the different types of planning.
- Survey topics ranging from international business expansion models, total quality management, business department goals and management by exception.
- Study organizational charts and compare authority in centralized and decentralized organizations.
- Examine traditional and contemporary organizational designs.
- Learn about leadership roles in an organization and explore the differences between managers and leaders.
- Examine Herzberg's two-factor theory, Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Vroom's expectancy theory and the equity theory of motivation.
- Study such concepts as the span of control and unity of command.
- Become aware of government agencies and employment laws relevant to human resources management.
- Survey employee orientation and training methods, performance appraisals, employee intervention, labor relations, conflict resolution and the consequences of job stress.
- Understand the skills necessary to manage in an international organization and study the functions of organizational culture.
- Examine workplace diversity issues, including affirmative action, workplace discrimination and diversity training.
- Learn the processes involved in communication.
- Study the differences between formal, informal, verbal and nonverbal communication.
This is an introductory course, and there are no prerequisites.
The DSST Principles of Supervision study guide is divided into 8 chapters, each of which contain multiple text and video lessons that provide helpful instruction on key issues pertaining to the principles of supervision. There are a total of 73 lessons, most of which can be completed within 5-10 minutes. Each lesson has a self-assessment quiz, and there are also chapter exams and a final course exam to help ensure that you have understood the most important points from the course. If you would like to study hard copies of these lessons away from your computer, you can also find transcripts of each video also included in the course. You can track your progress as you go through this course by using your personal Dashboard.
DSST Principles of Supervision Exam Information
The DSST Principles of Supervision exam covers objectives that correspond to an undergraduate business course on this subject. These exam topics will likely be required for anyone pursuing a major in business or management.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $80 (plus a small test center fee that varies)
IDSST Principles of Supervision Exam Breakdown
|DSST Exam Concept||Percent of the DSST Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Roles and Responsibilities of the Supervisor||20%||20 questions||14 lessons|
|Management Functions||60%||60 questions||31 lessons|
|Organizational Environment||20%||20 questions||28 lessons|
Earn DSST Credit
The college credit that you can earn from passing the DSST Principles of Supervision exam can help you to graduate with a business degree more quickly and at a lower cost. You can use this course to improve your chances of receiving a passing score on the exam.
Study Schedule for the DSST Principles of Supervision Exam
This course contains a total of about 7 hours of video instruction on these topics. Below is a time table that will help you determine the best way to approach this course. It's also a good idea to begin your studies well ahead of the actual exam date so you can be sure that you register in time.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||3.5 days|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||1 week|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||2.5 weeks|
DSST is a registered trademark of Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Advantages of Taking an Online Course Video
- What You Need to Know Before Taking Online Classes As an International Student
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- How to Fit Studying for Your Teacher Certification Into Your Schedule
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- What You Need To Know About The ParaPro Assessment
- What You Need to Know About Transferring Credits
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses