- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 107
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Behaviorism: Overview & Practical Teaching Examples
Course SummaryWhether you need to catch up in class or want to learn more about teaching literacy in elementary school, check out this engaging Education 102 course. Our short lessons and quizzes help you review all the essential topics related to this subject so you can do better in class or learn something new.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
16 chapters in Education 102: Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Learn basic instructional techniques before getting into more advanced concepts like language acquisition and learning processes and theories, through Education 102: Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School. Education instructors have devised video lessons and multiple-choice quizzes so that you can master literacy instruction at the elementary school level.
|Learning Processes & Theories||Examine different approaches to the learning process. Get to know some of the theories at the foundation of cognitive development.|
|Instructional Approaches||Explore various methods of educational instruction including top-down, bottom-up and whole-to-part strategies. Learn about the use of balanced literacy and schemas in education.|
|Language Acquisition in the Classroom||Take a look at how language comprehension is developed and retained in a classroom setting. Explore environmental and cultural effects on language. Identify language terminology like phonics and phonemic awareness.|
|Beyond Oral Language Acquisition||Learn about the relationship between the different language arts. Discover the significance of written work including scribbling and print awareness.|
|How Language & Culture Interact in the Classroom||Examine the effects of culture on language development in the form of dialectical differences, bilingual and multicultural education, along with the ability of children to acquire additional languages.|
|Teaching Reading||Engage in activities designed to enhance emergent reading. Understand the role of literature in learning to read and how to utilize lettering in teaching methods.|
|Identifying & Understanding Words||Discover the use of context and vocabulary in understanding definitions. Learn about cueing systems and different reading techniques.|
|Constructing Meaning||Get to know different influences and literary genres, and how they relate to meaning construction. Study the various instructional tools to construct meaning of words.|
|Vocabulary Development||Study vocabulary acquisition, the connection between vocabulary and reading comprehension, and techniques for teaching vocabulary.|
|Writing Development||Learn the connections between reading and writing. Find some activities and strategies to encourage writing development.|
|Approaches to Literacy Instruction||Examine the different approaches to literacy instruction including language experience, explicit and implicit phonics and literature-based approaches.|
|Classroom Management for Literacy Instruction||Study ways to manage and organize a classroom setting. Learn about utilizing groups in literacy education, learning centers, and time-management strategies.|
|Selecting Resources for Literacy Instruction||Take a look at the methods available in the selection of instructional resources such as textbooks, technology and teacher-made materials.|
|Responding to Student Needs||Learn the best ways for individualized instruction. Discover how to adapt learning to each student, evaluate students with special needs, and the reciprocal teaching approach.|
|Collaborations Outside of School||Find out how to cooperate with parents and the community-at-large to encourage development outside of the classroom.|
|Evaluation & Assessments in Education||Determine the methods and significance of educational assessment. Learn about evaluating writing samples and standardized tests.|
|Children's Literature: Chapter Books||Examine examples of chapter books in children's literature.|
|Children Literature: Photo & Illustrated Books||Take a peek at some illustrated children's books.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Learn Effective Communication: Classes and Courses
- Learn to Draw People: Course and Class Information
- College Lessons Learned Outside the Classroom
- Teaching Credential Classes and Courses
- Requirements for Teaching Adult Literacy Classes
- Can Education Learn From the Military?
- Online Classes in Special Education Teaching with Course Descriptions
- Distance Learning MBA Courses and Classes
- Distance Learning HVAC Class and Course Overviews
- Distance Learning Airport Security Management Course and Class Reviews
- Biotechnology College in Orlando
- Education-Portalcom Now Accepting Nominations for Education Resource Peoples Choice Award
- Computer Science Degree Top Ranked College for Learning Computer Science and Computer Programming - Arlington VA
- Online Academic Journals Available to EveryoneNot Just College Students
- How to Become a Certified Counselor in the US
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses