- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 13
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Being a Self-Aware and Adaptive Communicator
Course SummaryUse this course to help your employees and managers understand the importance of cross-cultural communication. After reviewing the video and text lessons, you can use the multiple-choice quizzes to assess how well the material is understood and where further training is needed.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Developing solid communication skills is often one of the most difficult business skills to acquire, and communication across cultures comes with unique challenges. This course explores communication techniques, types of business cultures and how to breach barriers to communication. Self-assessment quizzes that accompany these lessons offer a chance for your employees to gauge their learning and discuss their answers.
How It Works
These lessons, often used as part of a corporate training program, can be viewed on a desktop computer, laptop, smartphone or tablet. Your employees can watch the lessons and take the quizzes on their own schedule or in a group setting.
Features that make these lessons useful for training include:
- Short lessons that use examples and humor to make learning cross-cultural communication strategies fun
- Video tags that make it easy for employees to return to key points in the lesson if they need further review
- Written lesson transcripts that allow employees to read along with the video lesson
- Instructors who are accessible to employees with additional questions about communication skills
- Lesson quizzes that cover the communications process and cross-cultural communication
- A final exam that goes over all the communications and cultural material in these lessons
How It Helps
- Promotes understanding: Employees and managers who watch these lessons will learn about the communication process and how poor communication can reflect in reduced productivity.
- Develops communication skills: These lessons offer tips for improving communications, which can lead to improved workplace productivity and better relations with customers and clients.
- Examines cultures: Your employees and managers will find out how to identify various types of workplace cultures and learn to adapt their communication styles accordingly.
Basic Communication Skills
- Self-awareness and adaptive communication
- Perception's impact on communication
- Emotional intelligence
- Group communication
Cross-Cultural Communication Skills
- Why cross-cultural communication is important in business
- Individualistic and collectivistic cultures
- Cultural perceptions on communication
- Masculine and feminine cultures
- Monochronic and polychromic cultures
- Communication with speakers of other languages
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Be a Public Manager: Course and Training Information
- Plant Manager Training Programs and Courses
- 5 Lessons to Help Your Students Understand the Elections
- How to Motivate Your Employees After Performance Reviews
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Online Business Communication Course and Class Reviews
- Why Front-Line Managers Need Better Training
- Online Office Manager Course and Training Information
- Web Content Manager: Education, Courses & Training
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses