- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 85
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Literary Genres: Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
Course SummaryThis entertaining online course can help you prepare for the language component of the EQAO assessment for students in Grade 6. Boost your knowledge of reading and writing topics you could see on the test by exploring short lessons and taking multiple-choice quizzes.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Make studying for the language component of the EQAO assessment for students in Grade 6 fun using this course. Instructors can help you understand how to develop and organize ideas and communicate them in written text forms. Short quizzes and practice exams can test your knowledge of the lessons. Once you've finished this course, you should understand topics that include:
- Types of genres and text
- Text connections, analysis and meaning
- Literary formats, elements and features
- Point of view, voice and style elements
- Reading comprehension cues and strategies
- Spelling, punctuation and parts of speech
- How to develop multiple paragraphs and write and revise essays
- Ways to organize writing and write better essays
About the Exam
The Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) Assessment of Reading, Writing and Mathematics, Junior Division is designed to test students' skills and knowledge at the end of Grade 6. The language component of the assessment is broken into reading and writing components. The reading component consists of 26 multiple-choice and 10 open-response items with additional field test items. The writing component consists of 8 multiple-choice items and 3 writing prompts with additional field test items.
Open-response items are scored using an item-specific rubric, while multiple-choice items are machine scored. Students can earn one of four levels of achievement. An ideal level of achievement for students taking this assessment is at least Level 3. Test results are shared with students in an Individual Student Report (ISR). Check the EQAO website for assessment administration dates.
Preparing & Registering for the Language Component of The EQAO Grade 6 Assessment
Tailor your review of this course to your specific schedule and study goals. Feel free to view any lessons and visit them as many times as you'd like. When ready, take multiple-choice quizzes to check your understanding of the lessons you review. In no time, you could grasp how to analyze a literary passage, interpret tone in fiction and structure paragraphs. Before taking the assessment, be sure to test your knowledge by taking the chapter exams and final course exam. If you have questions about any topics covered in the lessons, don't hesitate to send them to our experts.
Students in Grade 6 who follow The Ontario Curriculum and attend publicly funded schools must take the assessment. Assessment exemptions might be permitted if a student meets EQAO criteria. Students who are absent the day of the exam may take the exam upon return only within the two-week assessment period.
EQAO is a registered trademark of Queen's Printer for Ontario, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- List of Free Online French Language Lessons and Courses
- Online Sign Language Lessons, Classes and Courses
- Reading & Writing Tests
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- How to Prepare for Your First Online Course
- Advantages of Taking an Online Course Video
- How to Help Students Conduct Self-Assessments
- Free Foreign Language Courses Online
- Online Korean Language Programs and Courses
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses