- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 17
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1History of the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)
Course SummaryIt's important for teachers to fully understand laws/regulations regarding all areas of student privacy and parent rights. This course offers a variety of supplemental teaching resources that examine the Federal Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and how it's used in educational settings.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Learn how and why FERPA was established, what it addresses and exceptions to its provisions. The lessons contained in this course covers legal language, examples and actual cases pertaining to FERPA and their outcomes.
Teachers and educators: Check with your school or district to find out if this course fulfills compliance requirements.
How It Works
Brief but detailed lessons cover all aspects of FERPA and provide links for further resources to get more details regarding this law's provisions, exceptions, history and relevant cases. Each text lesson contains a self-assessment quiz so you can check what you have retained and determine if you need further review of any topic. The lessons in this course can be accessed at any time, on any device, and are printable so you can refer to this information quickly and easily.
This course includes:
- Short text lessons that easily explain complex legal details
- Printable lesson transcripts to be used as reference tools
- Access to instructors so you can ask any lesson-specific questions you might have
- The opportunity to measure your overall knowledge with a final exam
How It Helps
- Explains legal language: Breaks down legal terms and references so you can more easily understand all aspects of FERPA.
- Increases legal knowledge: Helps you fully understand the rights of parents and students regarding student records.
- Presents actual legal cases: Enhances your understanding of FERPA by discussing actual court cases in which this law is applied.
- Explaining the purpose of FERPA
- Understanding exceptions to this law
- Identifying what data sharing practices are addressed under FERPA
- Relating the history of FERPA
- Citing actual cases relating to FERPA
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Why It's Important to Evaluate Yourself As a Teacher
- Online Teacher: Educational Requirements for Teaching Online Courses
- It's Universal Human Rights Month: Spotlight on Education
- Educational Requirements for Medical Examiners
- Educational Requirements for Becoming a Teacher
- Law Teacher Training Programs and Educational Requirements
- 3 Privacy Settings Tips Google+ and Facebook Users Need to Know
- Preschool Teacher Educational Requirements
- Art Teacher: Educational Requirements
- History Teacher: Educational Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses