- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 103
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Credit: Yes
Earn transferable credit by taking this course for credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Steps & Aspects for Starting a New Business
Course SummaryFinance 306: Small Business Finance has been evaluated and recommended for 3 semester hours and may be transferred to over 2,000 colleges and universities. With this self-paced course, you get engaging lessons, expert instructors who make even the most challenging finance topics simple, and an excellent resource for getting a head start on your degree.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Small Business Finance - Assignment: Create a Small Business Venture|
The course objective is to gain a thorough understanding of small business financial planning, financing, accounting, forecasting, capital budgeting, asset management and risk management concepts.
Your grade for this course will be calculated out of 300 points. The minimum score required to pass and become eligible for college credit for this course is 210 points, or an overall course grade of 70%. The table below shows the assignments you must complete and how they'll be incorporated into the overall grade.
|Proctored Final Exam||100|
Quizzes are meant to test your comprehension of each lesson as you progress through the course. Here's a breakdown of how you will be graded on quizzes and how they'll factor into your final score:
- You will have 3 attempts to take each quiz for a score.
- The highest score of your first 3 attempts will be recorded as your score for each quiz.
- When you've completed the course, the highest scores from your first 3 attempts at each quiz will be averaged together and weighed against the total possible points for quizzes. For instance, if your average quiz score is 85%, you'll receive 85 out of 100 possible points for quizzes.
- After your initial 3 attempts, you can take a quiz for practice as many times as you'd like.
- You will need to pass each quiz with a score of at least 80% to earn course progress for the lesson. However, it is not necessary to earn 80% within the first three quiz attempts.
Assignments are intended to assess your application, analysis, and critical thinking skills in relation to the concepts you learn in the course. One assignment is required for this course. You can access it here.
- All assignment scores will total up to 100 points.
- Your assignment(s) will be graded by a Study.com instructor.
- The instructor will provide a graded rubric for you along with feedback on what you did well and what could be improved.
- If you are unsatisfied with your score, you will be able to revise and resubmit your assignment(s) twice. You are free to resubmit an assignment within two weeks of your most recent exam attempt or at any point if you have an active college accelerator membership.
Proctored Final Exam
The proctored final exam is a cumulative test designed to ensure that you've mastered the material in the course.
- You'll earn points equivalent to the percentage grade you receive on your proctored final. (So if you earn 90% on the final, that's 90 points toward your final grade.)
- If you're unsatisfied with your score on the exam, you'll be eligible to retake the exam after a 3-day waiting period.
- You can only retake the exam twice, so be sure to use your study guide and fully prepare yourself before you take the exam again.
Items Allowed on Study.com Proctored Exam for Finance 306:
- Blank scratch paper
- Pen or pencil
- A non-graphing, scientific calculator (We'll provide you access to Desmos scientific calculator during the final exam.)
Items NOT Allowed on Study.com Proctored Exam for Finance 306:
- Office programs, web browsers, or any programs other than Software Secure (including Study.com lessons)
- Textbooks (digital or physical)
- Mobile phones, headphones, speakers, TVs, or radios
- Notebooks or notes
- Graphing calculators
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Differentiate the forms of business ownership and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Apply business models and strategic and planning fundamentals to launch a small business or entrepreneurial venture.
- Evaluate sources of financing for small business and budget and forecasting procedures to determine short-term finance needs and make financial decisions.
- Explain personal investment vehicles and strategies that enable the entrepreneur to plan for retirement and business succession.
- Analyze financial statements and key financial ratios to evaluate strengths, weaknesses and the overall health of a business.
- Explain marketing and pricing strategies and explain their role in profitability.
- Apply capital budgeting, working capital management techniques, and various forms of analyses to make financial decisions about firm risk and profitability.
- Analyze issues related to the management of assets, inventory, and risk.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Finance 306 consists of short video lessons that are organized into topical chapters. Each video is approximately 5-10 minutes in length and comes with a quick quiz to help you measure your learning. The course is completely self-paced. Watch lessons on your schedule whenever and wherever you want.
At the end of each chapter, you can complete a chapter test to see if you're ready to move on or have some material to review. Once you've completed the entire course, take the practice test and use the study tools in the course to prepare for the proctored final exam. You may take the proctored final exam whenever you are ready.
How Credit Recommendations Work
Finance 306: Small Business Finance has been evaluated and recommended by ACE for 3 semester hours in the upper division baccalaureate degree category. To apply for transfer credit, follow these steps:
- If you already have a school in mind, check with the registrar to see if the school will grant credit for courses recommended by either ACE or NCCRS.
- Complete Finance 306: Small Business Finance by watching video lessons and taking short quizzes.
- Take the Finance 306: Small Business Finance final exam directly on the Study.com site.
- Request a transcript to be sent to the accredited school of your choice!
- Check out this page for more information on Study.com's credit-recommended courses.
|Launching a New Small Business||Recognize steps for starting a new business; write business and feasibility plans; evaluate considerations for purchasing existing businesses and inheriting/managing family-owned businesses.|
|Financial Planning for Small Business||Explain the financial planning process, write financial plans and develop start-up budgets and financial goals.|
|Financing for Small Business||Identify financing options for small business ventures, including short-term, long-term and start-up financing.|
|Financial Statements for Small Business||Read and format key financial statements; format balance sheets, income statements and statements of cash flows.|
|Financial Statement Analysis for Small Business||Analyze financial statements for each type of business ownership; apply various analysis methods, including horizontal and vertical methods.|
|Interest Rates Overview for Small Business||Identify and calculate interest rates and the risk and term structure of interest rates.|
|Financial Ratios Overview for Small Business||Identify and analyze the relationships of different ratios in relationship to the health of a business.|
|Accounting in Small Business||Identify the purposes and uses of accounting, as well as the requirements for small business accounting.|
|Forecasting in Small Business||Explain the purpose, process, strengths and weaknesses of financial and sales forecasting; create financial statements forecasts.|
|Capital Budgeting & Management in Small Business||Calculate the cost of capital, networking capital and the time value of money; make capital budgeting decisions; manage capital and prepare financial statements for capital budgeting discussions.|
|Financial Management for Small Business||Calculate rate of return, payback, break even status and profitability to manage each stage of business life and make financial decisions.|
|Asset Management for Small Business||Develop strategies for the management of assets, inventory, cash and marketable securities.|
|Risk Management for Small Business||Evaluate/manage risk by sharing risk, insuring for risk and managing crises.|
|Retirement & Estate Planning for Small Business||Plan for retirement and succession; identify and compare personal investment vehicles that entrepreneurs can use to plan for retirement.|
Learn more about the College Accelerator Plan
Confirm College Accelerator Upgrade?
- Unlimited access to all video lessons
- Lesson Transcripts
- Tech support
- Practice quizzes & tests
- Tools for tracking progress
- Personalized coaching
- Access to instructors
- Certificates of Completion
- Create Custom Courses
- Earn college credit
- Take two exams per month
- Finish official exams remotely
- Learn more
By upgrading now, you will immediately have access to all features associated with your new plan. Because the change is in the middle of your billing cycle, your next charge will include the prorated amount for the rest of this month. For more info check our FAQ's.
What to Expect For the Exam
This Study.com course has been evaluated and recommended for college credit. Once you've completed this course, you can take the proctored final exam and potentially earn credit. Follow the steps below to take the exam.
Before taking the exam, all of the following requirements must be met:
|A College Accelerator Study.com membership.|
|Completed all lessons in Finance 306: Small Business Finance course and achieved 100% Quiz Progress.|
|Not attempted to take this exam within the last three days.|
|Have available proctored exams in this month of membership.|
|Have not taken this exam three times. (0/3)|
|Complete the exam readiness quiz.|
|Please note: Assignments are required to complete this course for credit. You have submitted / required assignments for this course.|
Please meet all of the pre-requirements in the Pre-Exam Checklist in order to take the exam.
Exam Process Details
1. Register For Exam
Registering for the exam is simple. First, be sure you meet the system requirements. Next, you'll need to agree to the academic integrity policy. Then just confirm your name and the exam name, and you're ready to go!
2. Download Software Secure
You'll receive an unique access code. Please write this down — you'll need it to take the exam. Then download Software Secure and follow the installation instructions.
3. Take Exam
The exam contains 50 - 100 multiple choice questions. You will have two hours to complete the exam, so don't start until you're sure you can complete the entire thing. And remember to pace yourself!
4. Get Exam Results
We will send you an email with your official exam results within 1 to 2 weeks. If you would like to raise your grade after receiving your exam results, you can retake quizzes with fewer than 3 attempts. You will then need to retake the final exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top University in Dallas with a Business Finance Degree
- Business Finance Courses and Classes Overview
- Finance Schools in New York with Course and Degree Overviews
- College Finance: How to Get a Raise
- Online Business Finance Courses and Classes
- Top University in San Francisco for a Business Finance Master's Degree
- Top Universities for Finance Degrees in Baltimore
- What Can You Do With a Masters Degree in Finance?
- Finance Degrees by Specialization
- Bachelors of Business Finance: Degree Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses
Request more information
Get in contact with one of our transfer advisors to learn how to earn transferable college credit for Finance 306: Small Business Finance.