- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 105
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Computer Science? - Definition & Fields
This course can be found in: FTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ FTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryWith this study guide, you can quickly and easily prepare to take the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) Computer Science K-12 exam. You'll use video and text lessons to learn about relevant topics and test yourself with self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related FTCE Courses
About This Course
This comprehensive study guide is designed to address every topic you'll encounter when taking the FTCE Computer Science K-12 exam. You can review lessons focusing on hardware and software systems, computer programming, networks and computer components. We've made it simple to study when it's most convenient for you by offering 24/7 accessibility from any device and the ability to print lesson transcripts to create quick-reference materials. Experts are on hand to answer any lesson-specific questions via a short online contact form. Track your progress on your handy Dashboard and use the results of your quizzes and exams to measure your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next.
Check out our FTCE Preparation resources! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and FTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Find detailed information about everything you need to know for the FTCE Computer Science K-12 exam with this extensive course. You'll study computer systems, the history of computing, network systems, programming languages and classroom technology. Once you finish this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Define computer science and explain information technology and systems
- List computer hardware components
- Describe computer software applications
- Provide details about telecommunications systems
- Name types and sources of data
- Outline the basics of computer programming
- Understand Java programming
- Identify the types and uses of technology in the classroom
- Apply strategies for teaching computer science
This course is made up of 11 individual chapters broken down into 97 video and text lessons. Each lesson can be reviewed in less than ten minutes and watched as many times as needed to fully reinforce your understanding of the computer science concepts covered.
FTCE Computer Science K-12 Exam Information
Aspiring computer science educators who wish to teach this subject to elementary, middle and high school students in Florida must take and pass the FTCE Computer Science K-12 exam to obtain the necessary certification.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $200
FTCE Computer Science K-12 Exam Breakdown
|FTCE Computer Science K-12 Concept||Percent of FTCE Computer Science K-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of computational thinking and problem solving||15%||18 questions||3|
|Knowledge of data types and structures||15%||18 questions||6|
|Knowledge of programming logic||20%||24 questions||11|
|Knowledge of programming languages||20%||24 questions||17|
|Knowledge of computer hardware, software and networking||10%||12 questions||35|
|Knowledge of the historical aspects and social issues related to computer technologies||10%||12 questions||10|
|Knowledge of computer science pedagogy||10%||12 questions||15|
FTCE Computer Science K-12 Preparation & Registration
You can increase your chances of attaining a passing score on the FTCE Computer Science K-12 exam by reviewing this study guide. The lessons provide detailed information about computer input and output devices, operating systems, specific application software, data structures and programming design. You can also review assistive technology, computer science curriculum development and teaching strategies.
Register online 24/7 by creating an account on the FTCE/FELE website. Once you've selected a test, you must submit required information and agree to testing policies, then schedule your test date, time and location. Then, submit your registration info and payment of test fees by credit, debit or check card. You will be sent a confirmation and admission ticket via email.
FTCE is a registered trademark of the Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Study.com Updates
- Should I Major in Computer Science? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- How to Become a Teacher in Connecticut: Certification Exam & Requirements
- NGSS | Next Generation Science Standards Guide for Teachers | Study.com
- Should I Become a Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- What Is Cooperative Learning? | Cooperative Learning Guide for Teachers | Study.com
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses