- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 355
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1FTCE English 6-12: Passing Score
This course can be found in: FTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ FTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis self-paced study guide covers all of the topics you'll find on the FTCE English 6-12 exam. Use the video lessons and quizzes to assess your understanding of writing, reading comprehension, literary analysis and more as you prepare for test day.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related FTCE Courses
About this Course
If you're an aspiring English teacher in Florida, you'll need to pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) English 6-12 exam to fulfill some of the state's licensing requirements. To take this exam, you should be familiar with the instructional strategies used for teaching English to second language learners and techniques for showing students how to understand written and multimedia texts. You should also be aware of the instructional methods used to introduce students to the components of poetry, prose, drama, fiction and nonfiction as well as influential literary movements and authors. Short, engaging video and text lessons in this course take less than ten minutes to review and can be accessed 24/7 from any device, making study time convenient and flexible. There's simply no faster or easier way to prepare for this FTCE exam.
Check out our FTCE Preparation resources! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and FTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Use this extensive course to review and gain mastery of the following objectives that will prepare you for the FTCE English 6-12 exam. Short quizzes and a final exam help to ensure that you are fully knowledgeable about these topics prior to taking this FTCE exam.
- Understand instructional methods and strategies for teaching English language concepts
- Use specific teaching strategies for writing
- Discuss reading comprehension and how to teach this skill
- Describe types of literature and literary analysis methods
- Detail environmental and community health concerns, hazards and safety
- Instruct students in the development of listening, viewing and speaking skills
This course contains 35 individual chapters broken down into 323 lessons in text and video formats. Short lessons contain self-assessment quizzes that allow you to quickly determine how much you have retained and whether you need further review of any topic before progressing through the course.
FTCE English 6-12 Exam Information
This computer-administered exam addresses the teaching methodologies and literary concepts you will need to know as a middle or high school English teacher in Florida. There is one essay section contained in this exam.
- Number of Questions: 81 questions
- Question Type: 80 multiple choice and 1 essay
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $220
FTCE English 6-12 Exam Breakdown
|FTCE English 6-12 Exam Concept||Percent of the FTCE English 6-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of the effective use of the English language at the postsecondary level||23%||18 questions||42|
|Knowledge of effective writing skills||21%||16 questions||79|
|Knowledge of literacy processes across genres||21%||16 questions||92|
|Knowledge of a wide range of fiction, nonfiction, and informational texts||23%||18 questions||62|
|Knowledge of critical responses to media||12%||9 questions||32|
Preparing and Registering for the FTCE English 6-12 Exam
Our FTCE study guide covers the same topics found on the exam. You can watch the videos to review the areas you're familiar with or peruse the lessons to find out if there are any topics that weren't addressed in your teacher education program. When you're ready, there are self-assessment quizzes you can take as many times as you feel necessary.
The test is administered in Florida and at sites across the country. You'll select your testing location along with a test date when you register for the exam. This process entails creating an online account that includes your contact information and answers to a few brief background questions. Once you submit your payment, an admission ticket to the testing center will be emailed to you.
Scoring the FTCE English 6-12 Exam
Responses to multiple-choice questions make up 70% of the exam score. Your essay response comprises the remaining 30%. This part of the test is evaluated by at least two scorers who award 1-7 points based on the unity, focus and effectiveness of your essay. Raw scores from these two sections are converted into a scaled score; you'll need a total score of at least 200 to pass. Score reports are available within six weeks of taking the exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading Comprehension | A Guide for Teaching Reading
- Reading & Writing Tests
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- Tips for Writing a Resume Cover Letter Video
- Study Shows Acting Can Help with Reading Comprehension
- Pay Attention in English Comp: 10 Ways You'll Use Writing in Your Career
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Resume Writing Guidelines Video
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses