- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 151
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Elements of Culture: Explanation of the Major Elements That Define Culture
This course can be found in: FTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ FTCE study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIf you are studying for the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam, this engaging course can strengthen your preparations and help you achieve a passing score. Use our bite-sized lessons to improve your ESOL knowledge, and take practice quizzes and exams to confirm your ability to succeed on the day of the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related FTCE Courses
About this Course
Educators taking the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam can fulfill requirements needed to secure certification in Florida and teach students who are English language learners (ELLs). This study guide course makes it easy to prepare for the exam by taking a close look at topics that include the elements of language, technology in the ELL classroom and ELL rights and court cases in Florida. Explore entertaining lessons to refresh your knowledge of these topics, and take accompanying quizzes to check your comprehension. Broader exams are available to confirm your understanding of each chapter and the entire course.
Check out our FTCE Preparation resources! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and FTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Syllabus & Course Information
These objectives correlate with concepts you should be familiar with as you prepare for the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam. Feel confident in your knowledge of topics like models of ELL instruction, writing skills instruction and collaboration and advocacy for ELL, and ensure you're ready to do the following:
- Explain the elements and adaptation of culture and how differences in culture impact students
- List and discuss best practices in promoting multicultural sensitivity and diversity in the classroom
- Identify and discuss various elements of language
- Discuss ways to teach components of language for ELL
- Exhibit knowledge of second language acquisition/development and literacy development
- Provide facts about language proficiency and different language skills and functions
- Describe research that focuses on literacy and language
- Discuss top approaches for instructing ESOL and uses of technology in ELL instruction
- Detail strategies for teaching listening, speaking and writing skills
- List and describe instructional strategies and ways to select and adapt instructional materials for ELL students
- Share facts about Florida ELL rights and court cases
- Outline ways to work with and assess ELL learners with exceptionalities
- Showcase an understanding of classroom-based assessments, language proficiency assessments in Florida and ELL assessment issues
- Identify and discuss organizations and resources for professional development for ESOL teachers
In this course are 132 fun lessons that have been divided into 23 chapters. Enjoy the ability to study these lessons your way by taking advantage of 24/7 access using any computer or mobile device. Utilize self-assessment options like lesson quizzes, chapter exams and a final course exam to confirm your knowledge of key concepts while increasing your familiarity with the multiple-choice format you will see on exam day. As you progress through this chapter, get answers to any lesson topic questions you have by submitting them to our subject-matter experts via the Dashboard.
FTCE ESOL K-12 Exam Information
The Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) K-12 exam is a computer-based subject-area certification exam for current or prospective educators in the state.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $200 (first attempt); $220 (retake)
FTCE ESOL K-12 Exam Breakdown
|Exam Concept||Percent of the Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of culture as a factor in English language learners' (ELLs') learning||8%||9-10 questions||16 lessons|
|Knowledge of language as a system||12%||14-15 questions||16 lessons|
|Knowledge of language acquisition and development||12%||14-15 questions||12 lessons|
|Knowledge of second language literacy development||10%||12 questions||7 lessons|
|Knowledge of ESL/ESOL research, history, public policy, and current practices||5%||6 questions||9 lessons|
|Knowledge of standards-based ESOL and content instruction||14%||16-17 questions||22 lessons|
|Knowledge of resources and technologies||8%||9-10 questions||13 lessons|
|Knowledge of planning standards-based instruction of ELLs||10%||12 questions||11 lessons|
|Knowledge of assessment issues for ELLs||8%||9-10 questions||9 lessons|
|Knowledge of language proficiency assessment||5%||6 questions||3 lessons|
|Knowledge of classroom-based assessment for ELLs||8%||9-10 questions||11 lessons|
Preparing & Registering for the FTCE ESOL K-12 Exam
This course offers a self-paced format that makes it easy to prepare for the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam in a manner that suits your study preferences and personal schedule. Explore the lessons in each chapter sequentially, or feel free to choose the individual lessons that will help you better understand specific concepts like cultural adaptation, pragmatics, language transfer, testing bias and the SIOP model. Lessons are available 24 hours a day using any computer or mobile device with Internet access. Our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams present questions in a similar format to those found on the test and cover topics you are likely to see on exam day.
To register for the test, you will need to login to your FTCE/FELE account and click register to select your test, answer personal questions and agree to testing policies. During this process, you will be able to schedule the test date, time and site and also choose the institution to which you want to scores sent. On the day of the test, be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled test time and bring your admission ticket and two valid and unexpired forms of identification printed in English. If you need to reschedule, you must do so at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled test time.
Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Do I Get an ESOL Certification?
- What Is the Passing Score for the PMP Certification Exam?
- What Is a Passing Score on a Microsoft Certification Exam?
- What Is the Passing Score for the CBP Entrance Exam?
- What Is a Passing Score for the POST Entrance Exam?
- What Is a Passing Score for the HESI Entrance Exam?
- What to Do When Your Study Group Isn't Helping You Succeed on Exams
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- FTCE Test Preparation & Resources
- Is IT Difficult to Get a Passing Score on the Registered Medical Assistant Exam?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses