- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 48
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is the FTCE General Knowledge Test?
Course SummaryThis study guide covers all of the topics you'll find on the English Language Skills Subtest of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. Access the course's video lessons and self-assessment quizzes to quickly prepare for test day.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
7 chapters in FTCE General Knowledge Test (GK) (826): English Language Skills Subtest Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About this Course
The Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) English Language Skills subtest is one of four sections included in the FTCE's General Knowledge Test that assesses aspiring Florida teachers for readiness to enter the profession. Individuals taking this subtest will be evaluated on their understanding of of language structure, vocabulary and the convention of standard English. Short, easily accessible video and text lessons allow for a quick and convenient way to refresh your memory about these topics. Content is presented by experienced educators in the field.
Check out our FTCE Preparation resources! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and FTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Access these lessons for a fast and efficient way to review or learn new facts about English language topics. You can improve your understanding of sentence structure, identify different types of pronouns and select the right words in your writing. This guide also enables you to:
- Determine meanings of words in context
- Identify sentence fragments, misplaced modifiers and run-on sentences
- List verb forms
- Understand how to use adverbs and adjectives
- Use proper punctuation
- Discuss capitalization rules
- Apply strategies to ensure proper spelling
This portion of the FTCE General Knowledge Test study guide covering topics relating to English language skills is broken down into 4 chapters containing a total of 32 lessons in video or text formats. Each lesson can be accessed 24/7 from any device, and lesson transcripts are printable so you can create handy reference tools.
FTCE General Knowledge English Language Skills Subtest Exam Information
This subtest is one of four that comprises the FTCE General Knowledge Test. All aspiring teachers in Florida must pass this FTCE exam to obtain certification to begin working in the classroom, so it is imperative that you use effective study tools to fully prepare for this subtest.
- Number of Questions: 40 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 40 minutes
- Exam Cost: $130 (for any combination of subtests)
FTCE General Knowledge English Language Skills Subtest Exam Breakdown
|FTCE General Knowledge English Language Skills Subtest Exam Concept||Percent of the FTCE General Knowledge English Language Skills Subtest Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of language structure||25%||10 questions||10|
|Knowledge of vocabulary application||25%||10 questions||6|
|Knowledge of standard English conventions||50%||20 questions||16|
Preparing & Registering for the FTCE General Knowledge English Language Skills Subtest
This targeted study guide can support your review of the necessary skills for the English Language Skills Subtest of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. The brief lessons each have an accompanying multiple-choice quiz to help you determine if additional review is required. The quizzes also give you valuable practice for the format of the actual FTCE test.
You can make an appointment year-round to take this test, either online or by phone. On test day, you'll need to bring your admission ticket and proper identification to the testing center.
Scoring the FTCE General Knowledge English Language Skills Subtest
Your test scores will be available online within four weeks of the exam date. FTCE scores are reported to you as either pass or fail; a number score is also included for failed exams. Passing this subtest requires a scaled score of at least 200, or 68% of the questions answered correctly. Examinees with a failed subsection need only retake that portion of the test.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Should I Be an English Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- English Language Arts Quizzes
- Should I Become a Counselor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Principal? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Doctor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become an Architect? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Be a Counselor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become an Actuary? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Lawyer? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses