- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 33
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is the FTCE General Knowledge Test?
This course can be found in: FTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ FTCE study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis self-paced practice and study guide course addresses all of the skills you'll encounter on the reading subtest of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. Use the video lessons and quizzes to assess your understanding of the concepts covered on this exam and make sure you're fully prepared to pass the subtest. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
5 chapters in FTCE General Knowledge Test (GK) (827): Reading Subtest Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related FTCE Courses
About this Course
The Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) reading subtest of the General Knowledge Test is part of the certification requirements for educators in Florida public schools. This subtest asks you to contrast, analyze, evaluate and synthesize information and ideas gleaned from reading selections. The lessons and quizzes in this study guide get you up to speed on what you'll need to know for the exam. These entertaining video lessons can be accessed 24/7 from any device and provide instruction from experts in the field.
Check out our FTCE Preparation resources! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and FTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course provides a quick and effective overview of the material you will be expected to know for this subtest. Once you complete your review, you should be able to apply reading strategies, interpret literary meanings and analyze different types of texts. You should also have the ability to:
- Identify theme, main point, tone and mood in a text
- Construct meaning from a text
- Draw inferences and conclusions
- Discuss point of view
- Determine the purpose of a text
- Understand structure in writing
- List parts of an argument
- Determine word meaning and connotation
This FTCE General Knowledge Reading subtest course prepares you for the questions you could find on the reading subtest and contains three individual chapters broken down into 26 lessons. Our experienced instructors can be contacted via a brief online contact form with any questions you might have regarding this content.
FTCE General Knowledge Reading Subtest Exam Information
This subtest is one of four that comprises the FTCE General Knowledge Test. This course offers the easiest and quickest way you can review the topics you'll need to know for this subtest.
- Number of Questions: 40 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 55 minutes
- Exam Cost: $130 (for any combination of subtests)
FTCE General Knowledge Reading Subtest Exam Breakdown
|FTCE General Knowledge Reading Subtest Exam Concept||Percent of the FTCE General Knowledge Reading Subtest Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of key ideas and details based on text selections||40%||16 questions||11|
|Knowledge of craft and structure based on text selections||25%||10 questions||10|
|Knowledge of the integration of information and ideas based on text selections||35%||14 questions||5|
Preparing & Registering for the FTCE General Knowledge Test
With the assistance of our study guide, you can study the skills incorporated into the reading subtest of the FTCE General Knowledge exam. The short videos will aid your review of this information and possibly enlighten your learning with a few new concepts. At the end of each short lesson, you'll find a multiple-choice quiz to measure your comprehension of the information. These quizzes also provide practice for the format of the actual FTCE General Knowledge test.
Registration for this exam can be completed online at any time. Create an account on the FTCE website, submit all requested information and select a test date, time and location. Submit payment via credit/debit or check card to complete your registration. You will receive a confirmation email when your registration and payment is processed.
Scoring the FTCE General Knowledge Reading Subtest
Your complete test score for this subtest will be available online within 4 weeks of the exam date. To pass this subtest, a scaled score of at least 200 is required, or at least 75% of the questions answered correctly. When you complete the FTCE multiple-choice subtests, including this reading subtest, you will know right after your test whether you unofficially passed it or not. Recognize that it is only unofficial, because it does not include your complete and combined scores for all four subtests. Your official scores can be sent to one school district or one institution of higher learning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Study.com Updates
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- What Are Some Online Courses that Will Assist in the Understanding of Data Structure Concepts?
- Would Employers Strongly Consider Job Candidates Who Updated or Got Their Skills Through Online Courses Rather Than Traditional College Courses?
- PhD Program Guide on Study.com
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses