- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 148
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1History of Reading Instruction: Trends & Movements
This course can be found in: FTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ FTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReview the engaging lessons in this course to improve your knowledge of concepts you are likely to see on the FTCE Reading K-12 test. Self-assessment quizzes and practice exams can gauge your comprehension and ensure you're ready for the day of the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related FTCE Courses
About this Course
This self-paced course makes studying for the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) Reading K-12 test simple. Fun lessons provide in-depth analyses of topics you could see on the test, including conventions of written English, vocabulary acquisition and use, reading foundations, instruction comprehension, emergent literacy instruction and principles of language acquisition. Each lesson features a multiple-choice quiz designed to check your knowledge of its contents. Chapter exams and a final exam are great tools you can use to measure your readiness in advancing through the course and your preparedness for sitting for this FTCE exam.
Check out our FTCE Preparation resources! We've got FTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive FTCE study guides to help you study, FTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and FTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
A thorough review of the lessons contained in this study guide will fully prepare you for the FTCE Reading K-12 exam. After completing the course, you will be proficient in identifying literary forms and genres, recognizing elements of reading comprehension and employing effective instructional and assessment strategies for reading classrooms. You should also be able to:
- Explain literacy and reading theory
- Evaluate and select reading materials for students
- Create effective and supportive learning environments
- Understand the basics of phonics and word recognition
- Use differentiated instruction methods for reading classrooms
- Administer and supervise reading programs
This course contains 16 individual chapters broken down into 132 video and text lessons. Lessons are easily accessible 24/7 from any device, making it convenient to study wherever and whenever is best for you.
FTCE Reading K-12 Exam Information
All aspiring reading teachers in the state of Florida must take and pass the FTCE Reading K-12 certification exam to begin working in the field. This study guide allows you to review the lessons as many times as needed to ensure full understanding of each topic covered on the exam.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $200
FTCE Reading K-12 Exam Breakdown
|FTCE Reading K-12 Exam Concept||Percent of the FTCE Reading K-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of research and theories of reading processes||10%||12 questions||14|
|Knowledge of text types and structures||10%||12 questions||11|
|Knowledge of reading assessment and evaluation||10%||12 questions||17|
|Knowledge of learning environments and procedures that support reading||10%||12 questions||9|
|Knowledge of oral and written language acquisition and beginning reading||11%||13 questions||13|
|Knowledge of phonics and word recognition||12%||14 questions||10|
|Knowledge of vocabulary acquisition and use||12%||14 questions||8|
|Knowledge of reading fluency and reading comprehension||15%||18 questions||30|
|Knowledge of reading program development, implementation and coordination||10%||12 questions||20|
FTCE Reading K-12 Test Preparation & Registration
Preparing for the exam is simple thanks to the many study resources available in this course. The bite-sized lessons cover a wide variety of reading and instruction topics to ensure you understand comma usage, library space planning, word recognition, differentiated instruction, educational coaching models and more. Check your knowledge of these topics by taking our multiple-choice lesson quizzes, practice chapter exams and comprehensive course exam. If you develop questions while studying this course, don't hesitate to send them to our experts.
To register for the test, you will need to log into or create a new FTCE/FELE online account, click Register and follow the steps. During this process, you can choose the institution to which you want your scores sent. While registering, it's good to keep in mind that earning certification also requires taking the General Knowledge Test and Professional Education Test. On exam day, be sure to arrive 30 minutes early and bring a current, government-issued ID. If you need to reschedule, you must submit your request via your online account at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled test time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Should I Be a Counselor? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Psychiatrist? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become an Electrician? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become an Actuary? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Writer? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Sheriff? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Principal? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Copywriter? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Pilot? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Psychologist? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses